ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores nas Caraíbas elogiados pela Secretária Geral das Telecomunicações pela sua atuação antes, durante e depois dos furacões

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 18 de Outubro de 2017 - 13:00:55 WEST

CTU’s Secretary General comments on Amateur Radio

*Bernadette Lewis*, Secretary General of the Caribbean Telecommunication
Union was interviewed during ITU’s World Telecommunication Development
Conference 2017 in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Here is an abstract of the interview and her view of Amateur Radio.

Interviewer: The Caribbean has recently experience devastating hurricanes
and I wanted to ask you how crucial are ICTs in assisting countries in
assisting countries to implement disaster risk reduction measures.

Ms. Lewis. ICTs are critical to the process, in terms of the preparation
even as the disaster is happening and in the recovery. We have been
contemplating the rule of Amateur Radio, for example, they have been a
staple, a significant element of the communication that takes place during
and immediately thereafter. And I think that in the Caribbean we need to
cultivate a new generation of ham operators, I don’t know if this is the
situation across the world but we absolutely need to do that.

Watch ITU INTERVIEWS @ WTDC-17: Bernadette Lewis, Caribbean Telecomm.
Union, Republic of Trinidad y Tobago
https://youtu.be/TqmZ93pavS4

Fonte: IARU Region 2 http://iaru-r2.org/