ARLA/CLUSTER: Os 7 misteriosos sinais confundidos com pedidos de socorro do submarino argentino desaparecido

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 21 de Novembro de 2017 - 13:25:03 WET

A sign of hope from Argentina’s vanished submarine: Seven mysterious signals

A sign of hope from Argentina’s vanished submarine: Seven mysterious
signals The Argentine government was trying to determine whether the
signals could be used to pinpoint the sub.

Argentina's defense ministry said it detected seven failed "satellite
calls" Nov. 18, which officials believe came from a missing navy submarine.
(Reuters) Argentine authorities received a few blips of hope in their
effort to find a three-decade old submarine — and 44 crew members — that
suddenly stopped communicating during a routine mission on Wednesday.

That hope came in the form of seven signals to a satellite, which defense
officials believe may have been attempts to communicate. Contact wasn’t
made and nothing was transmitted, but the signals, if from the sub, are the
first signs of life from the ARA San Juan.

“We received seven satellite calls that likely came from the submarine San
Juan. We are working hard to locate it,†Argentine Defense Minister Oscar
Aguad tweeted. “To the families of the 44 crew members: We hope you’ll have
them home soon.â€

The calls came into different bases on Saturday between 10:52 a.m. and 3:42
p.m., according to CNN. The shortest was four seconds, while the longest
was 36.

It was unclear Sunday whether authorities could use the signal attempts to
determine the sub’s location. A U.S. company that specializes in satellite
communication is trying to help the Argentines pinpoint the location of the
sub.

The communications company is part of a growing international search
mission combing the waters of the Atlantic and listening to all frequencies
for signs of the sub.

The diesel-electric ARA San Juan was returning to its base south of Buenos
Aires after a routine mission to Ushuaia, near the southern tip of South
America, on Wednesday. Then, suddenly, it went silent.

Complicating matters: strong winds and high waves that were battering
search-and-rescue ships.

The Argentine government has received logistical help from several
governments, including Britain, Chile and the United States. The U.S. Navy
sent several assets to help, including vehicles capable of conducting
underwater rescues.

Read more at:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/11/18/a-submarine-has-vanished-launching-a-frantic-search-for-44-people-on-board/
?

*•* Our thanks to *Stephen, G7VFY* for spotting this item