ARLA/CLUSTER: Episodio 309 da série HamRadioNow: Small Fortune, from the HamCation

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 15 de Março de 2017 - 13:39:40 WET

In episode 309 Gary Pearce KN4AQ talks to Jim Trapani KA2MBE of
TuneMatic and Dave Bottom WI6R of Arlan Communications

HamRadioNow had a booth in the 'high-priced' exhibitor area of the
2017 Orlando HamCation (thanks to the generosity of Chairman Peter
Meijers.. and a cancellation by another vendor... because I hadn't
arranged for a booth this year). That's the area where they set up
drapes behind and between the booths, supply AC power, and you're
likely to be surrounded by truly 'commercial' vendors rather than
flea-market bins. I set up the SIB (Studio in a Booth) there and
recorded several interviews.

I had one of those classy neighbors on either side: TuneMatic staffed
by owner Jim Trapani KA2MBE on one side, and Arlan Communications
which manufacturers RadioSport Headsets, staffed by Dave Bottom WI6R
on the other. They both were doing brisk business throughout the fest,
but things slowed down enough late on Sunday to bring them together
for a conversation about small business in Amateur Radio.

Both sell high-quality, somewhat expensive products (let's say they're
more than an 'impulse buy' price), and I was a little surprised that
neither had any complaints based on the general characterization of
hams as 'cheap'. Their products sell well, with plenty of customers
who appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them. Dave said he has
to put a cap on growth to avoid outstripping resources.

Their stories lend an insight into the origin and operation of at
least these two small ham radio businesses.

Watch HRN 309: Small Fortune, from the HamCation
 https://youtu.be/y0MVujFaDfw

Links:
http://tunematic.us/
http://arlancommunications.com/