ARLA/CLUSTER: DAB o audio digital para as broadcasting na Europa ou "uma solução para um problema que não existe"

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 30 de Junho de 2017 - 17:59:34 WEST

A closer look at Digital Audio Broadcasting

Cynics have described DAB as 'a solution to a problem that does not
exist', but conversely while AM radio works as well as it ever did, it
is increasingly challenged in heavily populated areas by the
proliferation of devices that cause local interference.

Even without this, the Government and Ofcom surely decided long ago
that DAB was the way forward with the intention, maybe, of eventually
recovering FM and AM for other uses and it was and is thus
relentlessly promoted.

Smaller FM operators complained that DAB was expensive, such that
wealthier, larger, stations would just price them out of the market.

But a clever Ofcom techie devised a means of sending DAB affordably,
if locally, and Ofcom decided to licence some trial test areas. This
was limited to ten trials (we know not why that number) and 51 groups
applied. Several stations could be part of each trial which was to be
of nine months duration, ending in June of this year. Caroline joined
two applicant groups, but while neither was chosen by Ofcom, we were
invited to join the successful Aldershot/Woking trial, then Norwich,
Portsmouth, Glasgow, Birmingham and now Brighton.

With a previous history of one month RSL's (Restricted Service
Licences), DAB was far better. The licence and Royalty fees were
modest and carriage was at first free. Best of all, the service did
not have to end after 28 days.

Old and New

DAB has been around for some time and radio sales were at first very
slow, such that with the passage of time DAB itself became old
technology. Now the new standard is the improved DAB+. Sadly, older
radio sets will not pick up + though new and more modern radios will
get both. In our trials we use DAB in some areas and + in others. This
is due to what the operators had available to offer us.

Read the full article by Radio Caroline Station Manager Peter Moore
http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#dab.html

• Our thanks to Mike Terry for spotting this item