ARLA/CLUSTER: Revista CQ tem secção de introdução à Ondas Longas e Medias (MF/LF)

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 16 de Fevereiro de 2017 - 14:03:12 WET

CQ to introduce MF/LF column

As ham radio operators in the United States await final FCC action to open
new amateur bands at 630 meters (472-479 kHz) and 2200 meters (135.7 kHz -
137.8 kHz), *CQ* magazine is getting a head-start by introducing a column
that will help interested hams get ready to "hit the ground running" once
the FCC issues its final rules.

The new column - to be titled *"MF/LF Operating: Life Below the AM
Broadcast Band"* - will appear quarterly, starting in the April 2017 issue,
and will be edited by *John Langridge, KB5NJD/WG2XIQ*.

Licensed as a high school student in 1989, John's interest in "life below
the AM broadcast band" extends back even further, when, at age 11, he read
an article in Radio-Electronics magazine about the unlicensed 1750-meter
band (160-190 kHz).
He had to content himself with operating on 160 meters until the
opportunity arose in 2012 to join the ranks of Part 5 experimental stations
authorized by the FCC to conduct propagation research in preparation for
the new medium frequency (MF) and low frequency (LF) bands at 630 and 2200
meters respectively.
He was granted a construction permit and station license for WG2XIQ and
maintains a regular schedule of beacon transmissions and two-way contacts
on 630 meters. He also shares tips and posts a "grabber," or bandscope
view, of 472 kHz (which updates every 5 minutes) on his website at <
http://njdtechnologies.net/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dsPHH7SFHSdTxFVO6oqjoCsexR2JDx2iEEK2qVjuoNS2cGEmYm0T1-5XegNKxa_8BCuQ3OKGCQN1YfKH-_pbBFon0zu0ddmt1nWBJGVObRxfjQdgrZ7SVtLEEE6E6OVR2DlROQPIrmKcHHqoIufK_WQio2APyFFaSV68IVECRuuMW94rqbDRhg==&c=xPj0NHVIXQLTmGMjq3vxKGWGARbQFSPYLTLl6mm72X_QDCBcfa83KQ==&ch=42fj3hFQBRt71k5jl-edgOsf1GmIi1YbCxTLtlPEfLbF4aJNzS6YTA==>>.

In his column, John says he plans to cover a variety of topics, including
station building, propagation, news events affecting LF/MF, and operating
strategies. "My goal," he says, "is to market the bands to people who know
nothing about them." The title of his inaugural column in the April issue
is "Ham Radio Below 500 kHz: What is All of This About and Where Should I
Start?"

Professionally, John is a consultant in broadcast engineering and
information technology, working for a variety of clients. He has a degree
in physical chemistry and is currently working toward his Ph.D. in that
field. John and his wife, Paula, KD5YHI, live with their pets in the
Dallas, Texas, suburbs. John's column will appear in the January, April,
July and October issues of CQ.

"We are looking forward to sharing John's knowledge and experience with our
readers," says CQ Editor Rich Moseson, W2VU. "CQ has always been a leader
in promoting new bands and modes, and in helping hams use and enjoy them.
We are already seeing a growing interest in our soon-to-come MF and LF
bands and John's column will be here to help our readers get active on them
as soon as they become available for general use."