ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores ajudam a salvar dois pescadores

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 7 de Dezembro de 2017 - 13:37:43 WET

Ham radio helps save two at sea

Fishermen Maniyan and Anil from Veli owe their lives to amateur radio
operators from Quilon and Idukki who pitched in some valuable efforts
to reach out to those affected by cyclone Ockhi

The Deccan Chroncle says:

The two had gone to rescue cyclone affected fishermen and had to lie
in the waters for two days. They had given up hope and even cut loose
the rope tying them to each other, when a small fishing boat came to
the area.

The boat had VHF radio and was in constant touch with Idukki-based Ham
Radio and Emergency Communication society which was active at a
repeating station at Kalvari Mount around 5000 feet above sea level.

“The Coast Guard ships on the surface level often are unable to
communicate with small boats having weak radio signals. Our amateur
club comprising six members had the advantage of sitting at a height.
We relayed the latitude and longitude to rescue vessels which reached
out to the duo,” said Manoj Galaxy, secretary of the society.

Read the full story at
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/061217/kerala-ham-radio-helps-save-two-fishermen-at-sea.html