ARLA/CLUSTER: Um novo livro de curtas e interessantes histórias sobre o radioamadorismo, por Don Keith (N4KC)

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 1 de Agosto de 2017 - 13:10:08 WEST

<http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2017/august/new-book-of-short-stories-highlights-magic-of-ham-radio.htm#>
<http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2017/august/new-book-of-short-stories-highlights-magic-of-ham-radio.htm#>
<http://www.donkeith.com/hamradio/amateur-radio>New book of short stories
highlights 'Magic of Ham Radio'

A new book by writer *Don Keith N4KC *employs short fictional stories to
demonstrate what the author calls the 'magic' still inherent in the
century-old hobby of Amateur (or 'Ham') Radio

“Some claim that our hobby is old-fashioned when compared to cell phones
and social media,†Keith says. “That is not true. Amateur Radio is in the
midst of a resurgence and offers more excitement than ever to anyone
interested in technology, communications, competition, public service,
experimentation or just plain having fun.â€

Keith says he has written these stories to more powerfully demonstrate
various aspects of the hobby, any of which might attract attention from
newcomers if they were aware of how dynamic and diverse Ham Radio is today.
He even went to great lengths in the book’s title to emphasize the fun
aspects. The book is officially titled “DIAL DANCING: Tales of the
fascinating, fabulous, frequency-hopping, wavelength-walking, power
punching, ionosphere-scorching, ditting and dahing, digital dancing and
glorious globe-spanning wide and wonderful world of amateur radio.â€

Among the stories are a tale of a new licensee making a first contact with
a rather interesting operator on a distant island, learning he is a part of
a historical event. Another story is about a relatively new female Ham
operator who takes on a bold challenge from a crotchety old-timer. Yet
another tells the story of an African-American Amateur who has concerns
when he learns about discrimination experienced on the airwaves by early
black Ham operators.

“Many prospective Hams still don’t know about how well our hobby ties in
with their other interests,†Keith notes. “Or how diversified our
membership is nowadays. It can be as technical as someone wants, or can
require very little technical knowledge or interest. That is what I hope to
show in these stories. Some are funny. Some are heart-tugging. I hope all
are entertaining.â€

Further information at
http://www.donkeith.com/hamradio/amateur-radio