ARLA/CLUSTER: Invasão esperada de radioamadores na Dayton Hamvention 2017

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 26 de Abril de 2017 - 12:55:41 WEST

Heads up: An invasion is coming

The *Fairborn Daily Herald* has published a warning that thousands of radio
amateurs will descend on the area to attend the Xenia Hamvention

It seems to me that folks hereabouts should be forewarned that in a few
weeks we will be subjected to what might be called an “invasion.â€
Oh, it won’t be by zombies, aliens from outer space, or locusts – nope,
it’s going to be by very friendly “Hamsâ€, known more formally as “amateur
radio operators.†Yep, thousands of Hams are expected to converge on our
county fairgrounds for a three day event known as the “Hamvention.â€

Okay, what’s going on? Well, for a number of years the Dayton amateur radio
organization (known as DARA) has sponsored the largest assemblage of
amateur radio operators in the world. This gathering, which became known as
“Hamvention,†was held at the Hara Arena, but that venue has now closed so
Hamvention needed a new home. After investigating a number of possibilities
and with the cooperation and concurrence of local officials, DARA selected
our fairgrounds as the new site for Hamvention. (Note: our county has
amateur radio organizations in Bellbrook, Fairborn, and Xenia with a total
membership of several hundred Hams, many of whom are also members of DARA.
All three local groups work with DARA in making Hamvention a success.)

So how large is Hamvention? Well, in past years attendance has been
somewhere in the vicinity of 25,000 – give or take a few thousand.
Hamvention has become THE event for Hams to attend, not only from the U S
but from all over the world. It’s truly international-level – almost like a
pilgrimage for Hams. I can personally attest to meeting fellow Hams from a
number of countries at Hamvention – and noting how they were thrilled at
being there. As for attendance this year, that’s a bit of a question
because of the change in venue, but we can still expect thousands of folks
visiting our county, many for the first time. But who are these people?

Read the full story at
http://fairborndailyherald.com/opinion/16775/heads-up-an-invasion-is-coming