ARLA/CLUSTER: Instituto SETI desvaloriza o hipotético sinal captado por radiotelescópio russo

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 5 de Setembro de 2016 - 11:00:20 WEST

SETI Institute damps down 'wow!' signal report from Russia

The killjoys at the *SETI Institute* - killjoys all over the world, really
- are damping down wild speculation that a Russian instrument has seen a
'possible' alien transmission.

Right now, as it happens, nobody knows what was spotted by the RATAN-600
telescope in Russia, partly because its operators kept the observation
under their hats for more than a year, and partly because it hasn't been
repeated.

Hence even though a signal in the 2.7 cm wavelength (11 GHz band) was
spotted for four seconds on May 15, 2015, the SETI Institute's Seth Shostak
only goes as far as to say the signal is “interestingâ€.

Shostak agrees that the signal appears to originate from star system
HD164595, if the interpretation of the RATAN-600 observation is correct;
but with no second observation to draw on, we can't even guarantee its
origin isn't Earth.

Read more:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/30/
seti_institute_damps_down_wow_signal_report_from_russia/

Our thanks to *Stephen, G7VFY* for the above information