ARLA/CLUSTER: A possível solução da massificação da Internet a nível mundial pode estar nas Ondas Curtas

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 31 de Outubro de 2016 - 15:21:16 WET

 Possible shortwave radio solution to worldwide internet access

KNL Networks, based in Oulu, Finland, has been in stealth mode during
the past four years while developing a revolutionizing system that
enables internet connection anywhere in the world – even in the middle
of the Pacific Ocean – without using expensive satellite systems.

Today, KNL announced the completion of its series A funding round. The
funding amounted to more than $10 million making it one of the biggest
Nordic series A rounds. Creandum is the biggest investor.

“KNL has been extremely fortunate to have attracted continued interest
from our Seed-level investors as well as visionary VCs and angels who
have seen the tremendous capabilities offered by our technology. Like
Facebook and Google, we see “Internet Anywhere” as a means to an end,
and we believe our technology is ideally suited to making that happen
in a wide range of industries, applications and geographies
worldwide,” said Toni Linden, CEO of KNL.

Facebook and Google have been exploring the possibility of bringing
internet to remote locations by relaying data through a network of
balloons. KNL's technology, on the other hand, proposes the opposite:
incredibly long range signals, by sending internet protocol over the
radio.

KNL’s technology is already being used to provide robust internet
connections to ships on the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, but can be
used anywhere on the globe for many different applications. Amongst
others, the company sees a future in the development of the Internet
of Things and autonomous vessels, as the internet anywhere technology
will enable live-streaming of data from the most extreme locations.

Such capabilities are currently only possible with satellite networks,
which are very expensive to operate. Instead, KNL’s technology relies
on shortwave radio transmissions, which can transmit data for
thousands of kilometers, for a fraction of the cost of a satellite
system. Accomplishing this has required the innovation of
long-distance high frequency radio systems. In comparison with
satellite internet, the radio technology offers the additional
advantages of being easier to use, always on.

This Finnish startup has a solution to provide internet anywhere - and
just raised $10 million in series A funding

Our thanks to Mike Terry for spotting this item