ARLA/CLUSTER: Inquérito para 1kW na Austrália

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 7 de Novembro de 2016 - 13:14:34 WET

Quest for 1kW in Australia

WIA Director Roger Harrison VK2ZRH discusses the issues involved in
the ongoing quest for a 1kW amateur radio power limit in Australia

WIA News reports:

This is Roger Harrison VK2ZRH from the WIA Spectrum Strategy Committee
with a further instalment on the WIA’s licence conditions submission
to the ACMA.

This week, it’s about high power. I can hear the chanting floating
across the valley, here: “What do we want? A thousand watts! When do
want it? Now!”

I was asked at a meeting a while back – when are we getting another
high power trial ? My answer was: we’re not.

A member at a different meeting asked: when the ZLs can have a
kilowatt, why can’t we?

My answer was along the lines that the regulation of
radiocommunications in New Zealand is a matter for the New Zealand
government, while the regulation of radiocommunications in Australia
is the business of the Australian government. Each government makes
laws in in its own jurisdiction, as it sees fit. It’s an issue of
sovereignty. But, let’s not go there or we’ll end up arguing the toss
about the role and powers of the governor general !

The Spectrum Strategy Committee has had the issue of the use of high
power – that is, power output of greater than 400 watts peak – on the
WIA’s “log of claims” with the A C M A since the end of the
now-infamous high power trial in 2013.

Many amateurs ask the question: why is it that we just can’t have it,
like amateurs in so many other countries – New Zealand, America,
Canada, Japan and so on?

The central issue comes down to that of compliance with
electromagnetic radiation standards in Australia.

The ACMA uses the term “electromagnetic emissions” – abbreviated EMA –
but the acronym EMR is also widely used for the same thing.

Here’s “the kicker” – Australia is unique in the world when it comes
to radiocommunications regulation, embodied in licence conditions, and
compliance with electromagnetic radiation standards. Here, the two
things are linked – but nowhere else in the world.

In Australia, our radiocommunications regulator – the ACMA – has the
responsibility to ensure compliance, and every licensee (not just
amateurs) is required to comply.

And there’s no use complaining about, or blaming, what happened with
the high power trial of 2012-13. Consider it as water under the
bridge. Complaining that New Zealand, America, Canada, Japan and other
jurisdictions allow "high power" in their amateur licence conditions
doesn't cut it – you're not comparing like with like.

The ACMA has a responsibility to the public, to ensure that
electromagnetic emissions from ALL radio transmitting systems do not
present a harmful situation. In fulfilling that responsibility, the
ACMA needs to know where possibly harmful transmitter systems are
located and that such locations are recorded on a licence.

With that understanding, the Spectrum Strategy Committee is working
with the ACMA to develop suitable procedures under which amateurs
interested in running high power can make an application that meets
the ACMA’s technical and regulatory requirements.

Talks are continuing.

At club presentations, one or two people have asked me the reasonable
questions: what experience have you had with high power, and would you
like to run more than 400 watts?

Early in my career, part of my job was to operate and maintain
transmitting equipment rated at up to ten kilowatts. These days, would
I like to run high power on the amateur bands ? – you betcha ! But
responsibly.

This has been Roger Harrison VK2ZRH for VK1WIA News

Source WIA News
http://www.wia.org.au/members/broadcast/wianews/