ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamador americano reconhecido pelo seu serviço no planeamento de emergência

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 30 de Maio de 2016 - 14:18:46 WEST

Radio ham recognized for his service with emergency planning

The *Herald-Dispatch* reports retired nurse *Fred Herr WD8AGH* has been
named the Medical Reserve Corps Volunteer of the Year

Herr has been a volunteer with the Cabell-Wayne MRC for more than nine
years assisting with flu clinics, ham radio operations, emergency drills,
the emergency operations center and shelter planning. He is also a member
of the Cabell-Wayne Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) to provide
expertise in HAM radio operations and emergency communications.

Karen Hall-Dundas, MRC coordinator, said Herr has been a valuable resource
to the volunteers and the health department.

"His expert knowledge in communications has made him our go-to volunteer
for ham radios and interoperable radios," Hall-Dundas said. "Fred and his
wife Melanie always answer our call outs and drills even when they are in
another country. We couldn't do it without great volunteers like Fred."

Herr began working with HAM radios as a hobby before he was married, but
his interest was heightened when he realized the benefits they can have for
public health in emergencies.

"That's been one of its premises since the early beginnings," Herr said.
"Even in our regulations in states, it can be used for emergency
communications when other routes fail. It really started with (Hurricane)
Katrina in 2005, they realized all these systems that the government builds
and all the cell phone systems are subject to failure, whether natural or
human made. Amateur radio has the ability to become a back-up for
communications and the health department picked up on that."

Read the full story at
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/volunteer-recognized-for-his-service-with-emergency-planning/article_df3df316-fd34-5df9-a764-c68dcf854343.html