ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores preparam-se para a época dos furacões

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 20 de Maio de 2016 - 16:29:41 WEST

Radio hams prepare for hurricane season

With hurricane season only a few weeks away, radio amateurs in Florida
are participating in statewide tests

WPTV News reports:

Operators emphasize the importance of the tests, noting that when the
power and internet go out, ham radios are a dependable source of
communication.

"It's basically resource allocation. Let's say there are 5,000 people
at the shelter in Palm Beach, and we need to get them food, we need to
get them water, the roads are out on I-95, people can't travel the
roads,” said ham radio operator Barry Porter KB1PA.

These type of tests take place three to four times a year.

Porter says his ham radios are extremely useful during powerful
hurricanes where some areas lose power for days.

Watch the TV news report at
http://www.wptv.com/news/state/statewide-tests-underway-for-ham-radios-as-hurricane-season-nears