ARLA/CLUSTER: Radios acessíveis a deficientes visuais ou cegos

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 9 de Junho de 2016 - 16:40:34 WEST

Two-way radio for the visually impaired

Joseph Stephen VK5FBHE writes on accessible two-way radio
communication for the blind and visually impaired

When my eldest son and I ventured into amateur radio, we discovered
that several of the chinese handheld radios actually had voice
prompts. Before you get too excited, just having voice prompts does
not guarantee that a radio is accessible as I soon discovered. One of
the most verbose radios spoke almost all top level menu names, but
failed to speak several of the critical submenu choices necessary for
real-world use.

It did not allow menu options to be directly set via the numeric
keypad, and did not emit a different beep to distinguish between the
on/off state of a toggle or the first item in a multi-item menu. Thus,
in spite of the verbose voice prompts, the radio was less accessible
than my UHF CB which didn't talk at all. It is thus important to
stress the fact that accessibility does not just mean making something
talk. Accessibility is about a blind person being able to always get a
device into a known state in an efficient manner, without sighted
assistance.

Read the article at
http://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/hobby/2-way.php