ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores voluntários americanos prestam auxilio às vitimas dos enormes nevões que se registam em vários estados

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 27 de Janeiro de 2016 - 18:13:05 WET

Hams help as massive snowfall stuns several states

The ARRL report Amateur Radio volunteers were at the ready as a storm of
historic proportions over the January 23-24 weekend dropped up to 3-1/2
feet of snow, some of it on states not used to seeing much snow at all

Some communities remained paralyzed Monday morning, as they continue to dig
out. Utility line icing caused power outages in some states, and flooding
occurred along coastal areas.

While the storm bypassed Northern New England, it brought major East Coast
cities to their knees, and some 30 deaths have been blamed on the severe
weather. In the New York City area, Hudson Division Director *Mike Lisenco,
N2YBB*, said he tried to keep up with the rapid and heavy snowfall
accumulation as he anticipated reports from Section Managers (SMs) and
Emergency Coordinators (ECs).

“I shoveled snow three times already today,†he said late Saturday.
“There’s still another foot of snow out there. The city is completely shut
down. No cars are allowed to be on the road at all! I’ve never seen that
happen in my 62 years.†A record 26 inches of snow fell in New York City’s
Central Park. Lisenco said 31 inches fell in Brooklyn.

ARRL NYC/Long Island SM *Jim Mezey, W2KFV*, reported, approximately 2 feet
of snow with some local flooding. All ARES members were on standby but
active in net operations, with SKYWARN also active. In all 13 volunteers
took part. Communication was on VHF and UHF repeaters, and 40 meters was
used to transmit weather information using digital modes.

Babylon EC *John Melfi, W2HCB*, said the Great South Bay Amateur Radio
Club, which makes up the town’s ARES team, took part in storm-related
operations on Long Island.

Read the full ARRL story at
http://www.arrl.org/news/hams-turn-out-to-help-as-massive-snowfall-stuns-several-states