ARLA/CLUSTER: Como instalar uma Internet Low-tech

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 25 de Janeiro de 2016 - 13:58:03 WET

How to build a low-tech Internet

Wireless internet access is on the rise in both modern consumer
societies and in the developing world.

In rich countries, however, the focus is on always-on connectivity and
ever higher access speeds. In poor countries, on the other hand,
connectivity is achieved through much more low-tech, often
asynchronous networks.

While the high-tech approach pushes the costs and energy use of the
internet higher and higher, the low-tech alternatives result in much
cheaper and very energy efficient networks that combine well with
renewable power production and are resistant to disruptions.

If we want the internet to keep working in circumstances where access
to energy is more limited, we can learn important lessons from
alternative network technologies. Best of all, there's no need to wait
for governments or companies to facilitate: we can build our own
resilient communication infrastructure if we cooperate with one
another. This is demonstrated by several community networks in Europe,
of which the largest has more than 35,000 users already.

You can read more at:
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/10/how-to-build-a-low-tech-internet.html

Our thanks to Stephen, G7VFY for spotting this item