ARLA/CLUSTER: Yvette Cendes (KB3HTS) está contra o uso do termos "YL" aplicado às radioamadoras

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 15 de Janeiro de 2016 - 13:43:50 WET

*Gender imbalance in ham radio*
<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AmateurRadioNews/~3/OhVIsBhXxMI/gender_imbalance_in_ham_radio.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

An astrophysicist writes on Reddit about why she will no longer use the
patronising and condescending term YL

In a thought provoking article *Yvette Cendes KB3HTS* highlights the
serious gender imbalance in amateur radio. She notes fewer than 15% of US
hams are women and says: *Ham radio is not terribly good at making women
feel like they belong in the field", "I have long ago lost count how many
patronizing comments I got in QSOs and "creepy old guy" comments.*

Regarding the century-old term "YL" Yvette says: *being called a YL is
starting to feel really patronizing and condescending to me, in a way
related to calling a grown man "boy."*

You can read her article at
https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/3zqkb1/
on_gender_imbalances_in_ham_radio_and_why_i_will/
<https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/3zqkb1/on_gender_imbalances_in_ham_radio_and_why_i_will/>