ARLA/CLUSTER: Radiodifusão australiana (ABC) vai deixar de emitir em Ondas Curtas a partir do dia 31 de Janeiro de 2017

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 7 de Dezembro de 2016 - 13:21:27 WET

ABC ditches Shortwave services

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation will end its shortwave
transmission service in the Northern Territory and to international
audiences from January 31

Radio Today reports Michael Mason, ABC’s Director of Radio said,
“While shortwave technology has served audiences well for many
decades, it is now nearly a century old and serves a very limited
audience. The ABC is seeking efficiencies and will instead service
this audience through modern technology”

ABC International’s Chief Executive Officer Lynley Marshall said the
reinvestment from closing international shortwave services would
maximise the ABC’s broadcast capabilities in the region.
“In considering how best to serve our Pacific regional audiences into
the future we will move away from the legacy of shortwave radio
distribution,” Ms Marshall said. “An ever-growing number of people in
the region now have access to mobile phones with FM receivers and the
ABC will redirect funds towards an extended content offering and a
robust FM distribution network to better serve audiences into the
future.”

Read the full Radio Today story at
http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/10153-abc-ditches-shortwave-services.html

ABC Press Release