ARLA/CLUSTER: Museu de Radio Comunicações da Grã Bretanha

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 18 de Abril de 2016 - 13:47:29 WEST

Radio Communication Museum of Great Britain

UK amateur radio museum finalist in national competition needs public votes
to win!

General manager *William Presland* has posted the following information on
eham.net

The *Radio Communication Museum of Great Britain*, a new museum set to open
in Derby, UK in autumn 2016 is a finalist is a national competition, where
the winning location will get a leading contemporary artist to their museum
to create a unique arts event. The events will happen as part of the
Museums at Night’s October festival, which will take place over October
28-29. Public voting will decide the winner.

The museum, with the aim of showcasing the science of radio waves and the
technology of radio communication is located in the centre of the UK and
will show thousands of amateur, military and professional radios as well as
other communication equipment to help visitors understand radio waves.

General manager William Presland said “We are proud to be a museum of
science and technology; however this competition will give us a lot of good
PR and for a new museum that is invaluable. Our competitors are venues in
Bristol, London and Dartmoor and we need the public votes to help a Derby
museum win a national competitionâ€.

“We challenged the artist to “find art where there is none- in a museum of
science and technology†and “present this art to the public†when the
museum takes part in the “museums at night†festival in October.

“The museum has made it onto the shortlist of finalists and it is now up to
members of the public to vote for which artist goes where.
The voting opens at 11AM GMT on Friday 29 April and you can vote at:
http://museumsatnight.org.uk/ Closing date for voting is Saturday 14th May.
We need votes so we can win!â€

Trustee *Stephen Haseldine, G8EBM* said “The museum is based on my private
collection of radios, in a new building which also includes a fully
equipped workshop, test facilities and a “live†operations room where the
public can see the equipment in use. We want to show other uses for radio
waves, including cell phones, Bluetooth, F1 data logging, Satellites and
many other examples to show the public how radio waves plays such an
important part of everyday life.

We hope the museum will also offer an excellent educational facility up to
A/As level, and provide an active social scene for people who used our
equipment when it was new and state of the art or who want to learn about
our equipment.â€

The museum does not yet know what the artist will do, but the museum hopes
it can use the equipment and knowledge to broadcast the art using radio
waves.

*Rosie Clarke*, Museums at Night Campaigns Officer, says: “The Connect!
Programme is a fantastic and challenging aspect of the Museums at Night
festival: everyone taking part learns a lot about how to foster positive
working relationships, realise an artistic vision and inspire new audiences
through the power of participatory art. This year we are delighted to be
able to involve emerging artists who are keen to expand their practice by
learning from a mentor, shadowing them through the creative journey and
discovering how their initial idea becomes a successful event for all to
enjoy.â€

Now in its eighth year, Museums at Night offers the chance to experience
culture and heritage in a new way. The festival sees hundreds of museums,
galleries and historic spaces all over the UK opening their doors in the
evening to put on an array of special events. The festival has experienced
phenomenal growth over the last few years; the 2015 festivals saw thousands
of visitors take part in over 800 events in over 500 venues across the
country.

Derby Telegraph November 2015
http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Steve-s-gone-Radio-Ga-Ga-new-museum/story-28228643-detail/story.html

Radio Communication Museum of Great Britain
http://radiocommunicationmuseum.org/
https://twitter.com/RadioCommMuseum