ARLA/CLUSTER: Videocast HamRadioNow: National Traffic System

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 14 de Abril de 2016 - 15:29:11 WEST

HamRadioNow: National Traffic System

Is NTS, the National Traffic System, stuck hopelessly in the past, or is it
leading the charge into the future?

In this conversation with North Carolina Section Traffic Manager *Dave Roy
W4DNA*, we find the answer is somewhere in the middle.
Most traffic is still passed (laboriously) by voice or CW, but some...
mostly in the middle of the system where messages transit from one region
to another... flows quickly by HF digital systems (RMS Express, Pactor 3).

*Gary Pearce KN4AQ* challenges Dave about whether hams do what we claim we
can: send health and welfare messages on behalf of people in disaster areas
who are cut off with friends and relatives unable to reach them. And he
asks if the system could really handle thousands of messages flooding in at
once in a mass disaster if hams actually succeeded in originating them.

This episode was recorded at the RARSfest- the Raleigh NC Hamfest on April
2, 2016. The opening celebrates the event of the 250th episode with a
couple of unsolicited testimonials from fans who approached Gary as he
wandered the aisles taking pictures.

Watch HRN 250: NTS... D (as in Digital)

https://youtu.be/Iby3QcJOr64

National Traffic System (NTS)