ARLA/CLUSTER: Um dia de SOTA interrumpido pelas piores razões

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 2 de Outubro de 2015 - 14:07:54 WEST

SOTA day with car fire

A wilderness trip to *Summits On The Air* (SOTA) peaks in eastern Victoria
Australia was interrupted by a car fire, but even that mishap did not stop
venturing with gear to a mountain top.

*Peter Freeman VK3PF* tells of how while heading for a SOTA peak his
vehicle caught fire, but he managed to rescue the radio gear just before it
was burnt out.

Several operators had placed SOTA Alerts for activations last weekend.
Peter VK3PF said he arrived at the Mt Selma Road South Road junction ahead
of *Tony VK3CAT* and proceeded south towards Mt Useful.

As Peter VK3PF puts it, "I heard something 'pop' and the engine started
sounding rough. As I was slowing down, I saw some smoke from under the
bonnet, so I slowed and pulled over just after the engine died."

Continuing the drama he said: "I jumped out to look under the car and saw
flames.
I quickly jumped back on 2m FM and alerted Tony VK3CAT that I had a
problem. I then started to get gear out of the car, as the flames rapidly
increased in intensity and black smoke was billowing forth."

Rescued was the SOTA gear and some bags, the IC-706MkIIG was disconnected
"as the cabin filled of acrid black smoke and the flames got getting
bigger. That was it – stand back and watch!"

Out of mobile phone contact, Peter VK3PF was joined by Tony VK3CAT, who had
arrived with a fire extinguisher that was of little use. HF radio was used
to get fire trucks sent to the scene by radio amateurs.

The CFA truck and crew arrived, only to see a little smoke coming from what
was left of the vehicle.

After thanking the firefighters, Peter and Tony started to head home, but
with two SOTA operators in the vehicle, what do you expect - they went to
the summit of Mt Useful VK3/VT-016 for a quick activation.

The full story and more pictures are at
https://vk3pf.wordpress.com/2015/09/26/an-unpleasant-surprise-during-a-day-of-sota/

*Jim Linton - VK3PC*