ARLA/CLUSTER: Possivel recorde via satelite (FO-29) entre o Reino Unido e o estado americano do Texas

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 7 de Maio de 2015 - 13:22:23 WEST

Extreme DX satellite contact between UK and Texas

On April 27 at 1901 GMT, Cuban radio amateur *Hector Martinez
W5CBF/CO6CBF* acheived
a 7537.8 km DX contact with UK amateur *Peter Atkins G4DOL* via FO-29,
possibly a world record for the satellite

I am pleased to report that Peter G4DOL and I had another extreme QSO on
FO-29.  It is my furthest contact on the birds!

Back on October 2013, Peter and I had a very nice contact between EL92sd,
Cienfuegos, Cuba and IO80so, Weymouth area, UK. It was a 7286 km contact
and probably the first contact between UK and Cuba on FO-29!

Peter and I desired to try again on FO-29, this time between EM21hs, Texas,
US and his habitual spot in IO80so. We were able to complete a very nice CW
contact on the 92319 orbit of FO-29. Peter had just 0.1 degree as maxim
elevation while I had 0.8 during the 80 seconds mutual window.

As before, Peter did all the hard work by driving until his habitual spot
at a cliff-top and  setting up his "portable satellite station" (19
elements Yagi for 435MHz and 10 elements Yagi for 145 MHz both with
horizontal polarization). FO-29 was sounding really good on these orbits.
It was a solid 559 satellite contact, we were very impressed.

We made the calculations using our 10 digit grid squares at
http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html  <http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html>

The distance between the stations was 7537.799 km (4683.77 mi).
To my knowledge, the longest distance achieved on FO-29 until now had been
7,533.685 km between Frank, K4FEG and Erich, DK1TB
http://www.qrz.com/db/k4feg  <http://www.qrz.com/db/k4feg>

It appears that an even longer distance is achievable. It has been reported
that FO-29 has a "theoretical maximum range" of 7502 km, but I guess that
at least 7600km is doable. We will try to break our own record!

This contact was possible thanks to the great feature implemented on
SatPC32 V12.8b. There is an option of seeing the frequency you are at the
satellite receiver at any time during a pass. It allows the operators to
tune the right frequencies and attempt a contact without having to search
for each other.

Thanks very much to Peter for his persistence, effort and all the fun!

73!

*Hector, W5CBF/CO6CBF*

2013 FO-29 satellite contact between Cuba and the UK
http://amsat-uk.org/2013/10/20/fo-29-satellite-contact-between-cuba-and-the-uk/