ARLA/CLUSTER: Deutsche Welle encerra o centro emissor de Kigali no Ruanda

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 30 de Março de 2015 - 13:37:35 WEST

Kigali short wave relay to close

Deutsche Welle is shutting down its relay station at Kigali in Rwanda.
Established in 1965 it is the broadcaster's last short wave relay

When the relay station first started transmitting in 1965, it was about 15
km from the city center. Kigali has grown in the meantime and the station
now finds itself in the suburbs. The plot of land on which the station
stands has skyrocketed in value. But the price of real estate was just one
issue Guido Baumhauer, Deutsche Welle's director of distribution, was
forced to face when negotiating with the Rwandan government.

"Even if we wanted to stay, we couldn't because our contract with the
Rwandan government is expiring and they do not wish to renew it," he said.

Read the full Deutsche Welle story at
http://www.dw.de/deutsche-welle-closes-kigali-outpost/a-18340960