ARLA/CLUSTER: Radio Seagull transmite em DAB+ desde o Norte da Holanda

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 29 de Julho de 2015 - 12:31:23 WEST

Radio Seagull on air: Andy Sennitt

*Andy Sennett* writes on Facebook:

On Saturday 1st August Radio Seagull switches to a new schedule, in
readiness for our appearance on DAB+ in the north of the Netherlands.

On Tuesday 28th July I will present my final Tuesday show at 1100-1300 CET
online, repeated at 2300-0100 CET online + 1602 kHz .
>From next week, I will be on Radio Seagull every Monday at 0700-1000 CET
online, repeated at 1900-2200 CET online + 1602 kHz and from September also
on DAB+. Most of the other presenters are also moving to new days and/or
times. Our website at www.radioseagull.com will have the details.

Per Radio Seagull website:

*Andy Sennitt* has been interested in radio all his life, and spent his
teenage years listening to the British offshore stations of 1964-67.

Arriving at Lancaster University, Andy was delighted to discover that the
students had been given one of the first university radio licences in the
UK, and was soon involved with University Radio Bailrigg.

For one year he was the station director, and always had to be on standby
to present live shows when the scheduled presenter didn’t turn up. Andy
says this type of community radio was a great way to learn all the basics
of radio. Hospital broadcasting was well-established as a great source of
on-air talent, but the authorities were initially wary of student
broadcasters. That changed, and one of Andy’s successors as station
manager, Richard Allinson, went straight from university to present the
breakfast show on London’s Capital Radio and is now a long-serving
presenter on BBC Radio 2.

Andy’s career took a different path. After graduating, he went to work at
the BBC Monitoring Service near Reading, where Andy jokes that he ‘got paid
for listening to the radio’. After 4 years, the chance of working on the
World Radio TV Handbook came up. Andy applied, and got the job, so in 1978
he moved to Denmark and became assistant editor of this annual directory of
radio and TV stations around the world. During his time there, Andy
returned to the air presenting media news on World Music Radio, which
broadcast on shortwave, and then on the Media Network show on Radio
Netherlands. In those days, sending a C60 cassette by post was the easiest
way of getting the audio to Hilversum.

In 1987, the Danish editor Jens Frost retired, Andy took over as editor and
re-located to the Netherlands.  NOW he was able to go to the studios in
Hilversum and became more involved in the Media Network show. Ten years
later, Andy went to work full-time at Radio Netherlands, initially as a Web
editor and latterly as a strategic advisor. But a massive government budget
cut announced in 2011 brought a premature end to that, and 270 of the 350
people working in Hilversum were made redundant.

Andy is now officially retired, but the opportunity to broadcast on Radio
Seagull was too good an offer to resist. Andy says “I was just a few years
too young to work on the offshore stations of the 1960s, and when I left
university there were only a handful of new commercial stations in the UK.

I don’t regret one moment of my career, but I loved presenting music
programmes on the radio, and the chance to do it again on Radio Seagull is
brilliant.â€

http://www.radioseagull.com/andy_sennitt.html

Our thanks to *Mike Terry* for the above information