ARLA/CLUSTER: Enquanto não saem os vídeos da actual concorridissima DXpedition a Navassa veja os vídeos de 1978

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 10 de Fevereiro de 2015 - 13:27:14 WET

1978 Navassa DXpedition video

The video of N0TG/KP1 and W0RJU/KP1 Dxpedition to Navassa Island in
1978 is available on YouTube

1978 Navassa Island DX-pedition. Composed of 10 Amateur Radio
Operators: 5 from Missouri, 3 from New Jersey, 1 from Georgia and 1
from California. They were: N0TG, W0RJU, W0ZH, AD0PP, N0WL, K2KA,
W2PAU, W2ORA, WA4SSU and W6OIG. The 3 hams from New Jersey had been
there before.

Getting to Navassa Is. was kind of tough. We left Kingston at night
and the seas overnight were relentless! But the landing area was on
the lee side of the island, making for calm waters at last! The only
access to the island is the steel ladder, or you scale the rocks! The
island is uninhabited. In the old days, there was a lighthouse keeper
who lived on the island. And guano mining supplied fertilizer needs
for the mainland.

Since those days, the lighthouse in 1978 had been fully automated,