ARLA/CLUSTER: DATV: Radioamadores convertem-se à TV Digital de alta definição

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 28 de Dezembro de 2015 - 11:24:40 WET

Ham Radio operators convert to digital television

TV Technology reports some radio amateurs are now on-the-air using high
definition digital TV

Ham TV has evolved right along with the rest of the industry, moving from
mechanical scanning to all-electronic operation, then color, and eventually
to digital video and most recently, high-definition imaging.

And while commercial television entities have routinely spent hundreds of
thousands of dollars in retrofitting analog plants for digital
broadcasting, hams—being an ingenious and creative lot—have managed to go
digital on the cheap.

*Art Towslee WA8RMC* is one of these DTV pioneers. In an effort to make DTV
more accessible for amateur radio operators, Towslee, along with two
others, has launched a small manufacturing operation that produces a
digital encoder card—the DATV (Digital Amateur TV) Express board—that sells
for $300. It operates in conjunction with a PC, as it’s a software-defined
device, and provides either a DVB-S or -T output.

“Our purpose was to get people in the U.S. interested in DTV,†said
Towslee. “So far we’ve sold 120 of the cards. However, I am a little
disappointed as most of the sales have been to people in Japan and Europe.â€

Read the full story at
http://www.tvtechnology.com/broadcast-engineering/0029/amateur-radio-operators-convert-to-digital-television--part-1/277663

DATV Express
http://datv-express.com/