ARLA/CLUSTER: Projecto para activar em 2016 a Ilha João da Nova que é a sétima entidade "Most Wanted DXCC"

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 20 de Abril de 2015 - 13:56:24 WEST

*A ilha de João da Nova (ou Juan de Nova em espanhol e francês) é uma
pequena e desabitada ilha no Canal de Moçambique, dependente das Terras
Austrais e Antárcticas Francesas (TAAF). O seu vizinho mais próximo é
Madagáscar, a leste, seguindo-se-lhe Moçambique, a oeste. Foi descoberta
pelo navegador galego-português João da Nova.
Juan de Nova - 7th Most Wanted DXCC Entity

Juan de Nova in 2016! - We are about to turn the page on FT4TA.
We still have a number of presentations to make to share this experience
with as many people as possible.

Logistics-wise, the equipment in our 3 crates is on its way. Upon
delivery, we will clean, check and repackage everything. The various
debriefings with TAAF services have all been extremely positive. Our
work has been appreciated in all areas and by all our interlocutors:
schools, philatelic enthusiasts, and of course our primary objective:
ham operators.

Specific attention has been paid to present and explain our activity
with the authorities, journalists and the general public. All these
efforts on the side of the expedition were positively received and are
obviously carriers for future activities.

The goals we set were achieved. The 71,000 contacts made it possible
to pull Tromelin out of the Top 10 most wanted countries. In line with
what we had announced, significant efforts were made to allow the radio
amateurs of the most remote areas to work us.
Building on these positive results, we initiated a new project that
has received the approval of the TAAF. We appreciate all the more the
new token of confidence that 2015 is a very important year for all their
services because of the celebrations for their 60th anniversary.
We are proud and happy to announce that our team was allowed to go on the
island of Juan de Nova in March 2016.

The islands of Juan de Nova and Europa are one DXCC entity. Like other
Scattered Islands, they have been on the air in the past mainly by the
weather forecast staff as part of their professional duties. Since the
automation of weather stations and the gradual disappearance of amateur
radio in the military stationed on the Scattered Islands, no activity was
carried out. The last DXpedition from this DXCC entity goes back to 2003,
the year a military team made 34,000 contacts using the callsigns TO4E /
TO4WW from Europa. As for Juan de Nova, one must go back to the 80s for the
last true dx-pedition. Demand is very important, regardless of the band or
mode.

Access to these islands is extremely limited and subject to prior
approval of the TAAF. These territories are sensitive and protected
areas. After a positive experience on Tromelin, the administration has
renewed their confidence for us to lead this project. Protective measures
of the fauna and flora introduced on Tromelin will be continued so that our
radio activity and protected animal species can live together harmoniously.

The Project -- The exact conditions and dates still need to be tweaked,
but the main lines are already defined and validated. After taking into
account all the constraints and imperatives, a team of 10 people has been
allowed for a period of 15 days.

Our experience on Tromelin allows us to see the things that we clearly
can reproduce and areas for improvement, taking into account the specific
characteristics of the site and the restrictions imposed. We will need to
consider the environmental impact of our activity and ensure strict
compliance of instructions.

Again, we will make every effort to allow a maximum of radio amateurs
around the world to establish contact with Juan de Nova. Special attention
will be given to the most difficult areas and to the low bands, especially
underutilized in previous DXpeditions.
Like on Tromelin, we know that success can only be achieved by a small
group with a very strong cohesion and shared past experiences. This group
is already made. You'll find out soon on our website and the
names/callsigns will be very familiar to you.

Budget/Sponsoring -- During the period going from late 2015 to early 2016,
many projects for some Top 10 DXCC countries have been announced. Let’s
hope that all will be completed. This means that overall more funding will
be needed in a short period of time.
The budget for this work is relatively large and greater than the one
needed for FT4TA. Although some aspects are facilitated by the ability to
dock with a boat, other constraints make things more complicated and
therefore more expensive. Initial projections give an estimated budget
of $ 130,000 from Mayotte. Despite our optimization efforts, some items
of expenditure are incompressible.

To carry out this project, we ask the entire community to renew their
confidence by giving us their support, mainly financial. Many clubs,
foundations and associations were with us in 2014 to achieve FT4TA. We
hope that these generous sponsors can renew their efforts with this new
expedition.

"Juan de Nova 2016" is officially launched and now depends on the
support of all. You can trust us to carry out this operation with all
the seriousness and the necessary rigor.

How to Help? -- Our website http://www.juandenovadx.com was just
launched.
Over the next 12 months, you will discover more about the ops, the
preparation & our destination. You can also follow us on various social
networks such as Twitter (@JuandeNovaDX ) and Facebook.
A page dedicated to Foundations / Clubs / Associations will be available.
We will post the logos of our sponsors with links to their websites.

To allow all DXers ??and supporters to join the project, we also
implemented a "Donation" button on our website. Donations of at least
€25 will automatically get your QSL card direct.
We are at your disposal for further information.

73,
*Seb, F5UFX* Team Leader for Juan de Nova 2016