ARLA/CLUSTER: Segmentos de frequencias abandonados pela TV analogica podem salver vidas no mar

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 2 de Setembro de 2014 - 14:27:16 WEST

White space between TV signals could save lives at sea

*BBC News *reports: The leftover white space between TV signals is raising
the hope of saving lives at sea and providing broadband for remote
communities.

"Come in, Solent Coastguard..." It is the third time the coxswain of the
Freshwater independent lifeboat, Jeremy Blake, has tried to get through. He
is using VHF radio, a technology virtually unchanged for a century.

It was from the cliffs above Freshwater Bay on the Isle of Wight that
Guglielmo Marconi first proved that radio could be used for two-way
wireless communication with ships at sea.

In the years since Marconi began his experiments in 1897, marine radio has
saved countless lives but is far from perfect.

"Essentially we're using the same technology," says Mr Blake. "It's got
smaller and more reliable but we're still limited by line of sight. We can
only have one-way communication at a time, and if someone else is talking
on the radio that will drown us out if they've got a stronger signal.

"So sometimes we can't communicate. We often have problems when someone is
sitting on their radio, and transmitting, and they are blocking out all the
other channels."

'Prime real estate'

That could all be about to change. The lifeboat has been taking part in a
trial of a new technology that supporters say could not only save lives but
bring superfast broadband to rural communities that so far have been cut
off from the information age.

It is called TV white space and takes advantage of unused parts of the
spectrum reserved for television transmissions.

Read the full story with video at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28957172

Our thanks to *Stephen G7VFY* for spotting this item