ARLA/CLUSTER: Governo do Canadá confirma excepções para operações em movel pelos radioamadores

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 20 de Março de 2014 - 13:06:51 WET

Distracted Driving: New Brunswick confirms exemption for Ham Radio Operators

Radio Amateurs of Canada is announcing today confirmation that the New
Brunswick Government has tabled new legislation to provide an
exemption to that province's distracted driving law for amateur radio
operators.

The announcement was made at the Legislature in Fredericton today with
amateur radio operators in attendance at the invitation of Minister of
Justice's Troy Lifford recent invitation. RAC member Alan Thurber
VE1AKT was formally recognized in the Legislature with extensive
recognition of his involvement in amateur radio, various groups and
the community in general.

While RAC finds victory in today's announcement, we hope the New
Brunswick government will make this a permanent exemption. RAC took a
strong position going as far back as December 2010 with respect to New
Brunswick's then new legislation banning the use of any mobile radios
for amateur operators. "It goes without saying we are extremely
satisfied that New Brunswick has finally come to recognize that
amateur radio enhances public safety." Geoff Bawden, VE4BAW (RAC
President).

Exemptions exist in other provincial jurisdictions in Canada - thanks
to the efforts of local amateurs and RAC's national strategy to
address distracted driving legislation.

The Radio Amateurs of Canada is Canada's national voice for Amateur
Radio. Our efforts not only promote the Amateur Radio Service but
protect it from regulatory interference that may lead to less
capability in providing emergency communications.

Geoff Bawden VE4BAW
President, Radio Amateurs of Canada
Ve4baw<at>rac.ca

Len Morgan VE9MY