ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores vão jogar um papel no simulacro da missão a Marte

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 5 de Março de 2014 - 12:53:29 WET

Ham Radio will play role in simulated Mars mission

The ARRL report when Ron Williams, N9UIK, and his team of 'astronauts'
head to 'Mars' this spring, they’ll be taking Amateur Radio along,
just as NASA space travelers have done

Williams is part of Mission 2 (of four) in the Hawaii Space
Exploration Analog and Simulation — HI-SEAS, in which participants
will simulate living and working within a Martian outpost — actually a
solar-powered dome at a remote site some 8000 feet up on the slopes of
Mauna Loa. Conducted by the University of Hawaii and Cornell
University, the project has partial funding from NASA.

“I am confident that when we eventually go to Mars, there will be some
type of involvement with the Amateur Radio community,” Williams said,
noting Amateur Radio’s long-standing role in space missions, including
the International Space Station. “We would like to simulate this on
this mission.” Part of that will mean integrating a 20 minute signal
delay into all communications, whether via Amateur Radio or the
Internet.

“This will simulate the distance, when greatest, between Earth and
Mars,” explained Williams, a clinical neuropsychologist from Indiana.
At 60, he’s the oldest member of the team; the youngest is 26.
Williams, is one of two hams on this crew increment. The other is Ross
Lockwood, VA6RLW, of Alberta.

“Our proposed outreach simulation to the Amateur Radio community will
also involve this signal delay,” Williams continued. “To the best of
our knowledge, this will be unique to any Amateur Radio special event
ever conducted.” HI-SEAS also was able to obtain the special event
call sign K6B for the project for nearly the entire length of the
mission, instead of the typical 15 days.

Read the full ARRL story at
http://www.arrl.org/news/
ham-radio-will-play-a-role-in-hi-seas-simulated-mars-mission