ARLA/CLUSTER: IARU atribuiu o premio "Michael J Owen" a Wojciech Nietyksza SP5FM e a David Wardlaw VK3ADW

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 19 de Junho de 2014 - 13:37:52 WEST

Worldwide doyen of Amateur Radio honoured

On a trip to Melbourne Timothy Ellam VE6SH/G4HUA, IARU President of
the International Amateur Radio Union, formally presented Dr David
Wardlaw VK3ADW with the IARU's inaugural Michael J Owen Award.

The presentation was at the Wireless Institute of Australia's (WIA)
headquarters before a small gathering of those involved with the IARU,
WIA, family and friends.

Tim Ellam thanked those who organised the morning tea, (followed by a
city luncheon later joined by Nan Owen and daughter Jen), and said,
"The WIA remains one of our most important member societies in the
IARU and we value your participation in our affairs."

He acknowledged the presence of IARU Region 3's President Gopal
Madhavan VU2GMN, and Director Geoff Atkinson VK3TL as well as
Monitoring System Coordinator Peter Young VK3MV, and the Chairman of
the Disaster Communications Committee Jim Linton VK3PC.

Speaking of the Michael J Owen Award, Tim said, "We were of course
immensely saddened with Michael's sudden passing. (The IARU Region 3
Chairman and WIA President died on September 22, 2012.)

Michael was a rock for all us and for his achievements both with
Amateur Radio in Australia and those who became involved in the IARU
were remarkable. His commitment to Amateur Radio was exemplary.

"Many of us here today can speak to his keen intellect and wit. Many
also speak to his kindness and mentoring of new radio amateurs
involved in the IARU."

Tim said one of his goals on becoming the IARU President was to
recognise our volunteers. This was from a recognition that people
spent long hours for the good of Amateur Radio, often with little
recognition.

"With Michael's passing it seemed fitting that this recognition should
incorporate his name," he said. The IARU Administrative Council (AC)
felt that no other radio amateur better exemplified the IARU
volunteer, and named it the Michael J Owen Award.

In 2013 the IARU AC acted to make the inaugural appointment of two
radio amateurs who were the unanimous choices for dedication and work
for the IARU.

Wojciech Nietyksza SP5FM (who was presented with the award by IARU
Vice President Ole Garpestad, LA2RR in Warsaw on 17 May 2014, for
decades of exceptional service) and now Dr David Wardlaw VK3ADW,
received the same award.

The Australian became involved with the IARU in 1968 as part of the
Secretariat provided by the WIA for the inaugural conference of the
IARU Region 3 in Sydney.

While serving as WIA President he attended the 1976 IARU world meeting
in Miami, in conjunction with the Region 2 conference, at which the
global objectives and strategy for World Administrative Radio
Conference (WARC-79) were developed.

Along with Michael Owen, David was appointed to the Australian
delegation at WARC-79 to represent Amateur Radio.

It was one of the most significant conferences for the International
Telecommunications Union (ITU) in many ways. For Amateur Radio it
meant the allocation of the so-called WARC-bands for the Amateur
Service, a major development that occurred during a very busy agenda.

The pair returned home having played their roles in that IARU victory,
but went on to serve further. David was a Director of IARU R3
1988-1994 and 1997-99, resigning in that time to succeed Michael as
IARU Vice President, serving in that role from 1994-2004.

Tim Ellam fondly recalls that he succeeded David as IARU Vice
President, and in the hand-over imparted his wisdom and guidance for
this role.

He said, "David was an effective representative of both Amateur Radio
and the Australian administration at the ITU. His expertise was such
that those he encountered assumed that 'Dr Wardlaw' held a Ph. D. in
some field related to physics or engineering, but in fact, he was a
dentist.

"To this day, many ITU attendees speak often and highly of Dr Wardlaw,
and I am continually asked when we will see him again."

In presenting the Michael J Owen Award, the IARU President said, "I
can think of no one more fitting to be presented with this award than
you."

A humble David Wardlaw received the accolade, saying it was a deep
privilege to be awarded. He recalled that a young Michael Owen, then a
law student, had shown an interest in the way radio was regulated, and
after a Sunday morning at his house interested him in Amateur Radio.

While he made many friends at the IARU. He quipped that ITU committee
chairman would refer to him by his name, rather than a country like
other delegates, giving him some added importance.

David is known for his quiet and diplomatic approach to important
matters, but his truly thoughtful effectiveness on them can never be
challenged.

Jim Linton VK3PC