ARLA/CLUSTER: APRS pode ajudar doentes com Parkinson's no Reino Unido

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Domingo, 1 de Junho de 2014 - 22:14:03 WEST

APRS-Parkinson's UK

We have all heard of Parkinson’s and if you're like me, probably associate
it with older people. My grandad had Parkinson’s but a few years ago my
sister was also diagnosed with it whilst in her 40's.

Typically, she doesn't complain but calls me up and asks me if I would be
interested in cycling 100km around London to help raise funds for
Parkinson's UK.

It was suggested by one of the local radio club members that I should carry
an APRS tracking beacon with me. So the project was born. A brief email to
the *Welland Valley Amateur Radio Society* (WVARS) members, asking for help
resulted in various gps receivers, antennas, bits and bobs all pledged for
me to use. Within a couple of hours I had everything I needed (isn’t
amateur radio a great hobby).

To keep the weight to a minimum I decided to build DK7IN’s version of the
Tiny Trak from Byonics and run it into my Baofeng UV-5R. The GPS unit was
donated by Navtech Systems Ltd.

After a few late nights in the shack and a bit of messing about getting the
signal levels correct the unit was built. Mounted into the top of my
rucksack all I had to do was take it out on the road. It worked great, much
better than my cycling, well it has been about 25yrs since I was on a bike!

So only a few days to go until the big event, 100km cycle around London
through the night starting at 11pm. Drop me an email if you can see me, I
will be checking in on route. If you would like to donate to this great
cause you can find my Just Giving page at:

http://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Bruce2

Thank you.

*Paul Bruce, G1FJH*