ARLA/CLUSTER: Espanha escuta França por reflexão no Norte de África

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 21 de Julho de 2014 - 13:45:45 WEST

7 overnight decodes of F5ZAL 2-metre beacon by EA5DOM

Following the addition of the Opera OP05** coding to the *F5ZAL* beacon,
this is one of the more unexpected reception reports, where due to the
relative location of Tx / Rx, in this case, separated by a 3000 ft mountain
range, direct reception is not possible.

 *Luis EA5DOM*, used a beam heading of 150 deg to intercept reflections
from the North African coast line, some 300 miles to his south, the beacon
travelling, another 400 miles south to the coast, making a round trip of
700 miles .

Luis has also achieved excellent results in Tx/Rx using the OP05 mode on 70
and 23 cm and is experimenting with a 10GHz implementation.

** OP05, 30 second Tx time, expected ave min s/n -20 dB

Posted to the Opera group 18/7/2014
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/O_P_E_R_A_/
conversations/topics/2879

And I have finally managed to copy the beacon ! :-)

The problem for me is not the distance but the very bad path with over
1000m high mountains very close here

Yesterday evening I got a trace from the beacon by refection in Algerie
coast (7X) beaming here to 150º

The beacon trace can be recognized by the 20 sec Rx pause, something that
doesn't happens with birdies

I left the equipment QRV during the night and this morning I checked that
the beacon was decoded many times, best -18dB. But the strongest peak
decode just happened at 6:28 UTC

This has been a unique strong decode. But this kind of short openings
during the early morning have been common while testing the sea path with
EA9MH

Automatic monitoring of high mountain located beacons in V-U-SHF opens new
frontiers

*73 de Luis EA5DOM*