ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores compartilham o seu amor pela rádio

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 5 de Dezembro de 2014 - 13:10:10 WET

Hams share love of amateur radio

Quad-City Times report on the 43rd annual Davenport Radio Amateur Club Hamfest

The newspaper says the event, which drew several hundred spectators
from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Davenport’s Clarion Hotel, was part
convention, part flea market and all fun for techies, radioheads and
curious onlookers alike.

There are more than 2.5 million amateur radio operators in the world,
with more than 700,000 in the United States. The Hamfest gave local
hobbyists the chance to check out all the new technology in amateur
radio and lay their eyes and hands on rare, vintage gear.

“There are events like this all across the country, where you can
connect with old friends and meet new ones that maybe you’ve known for
years across the radio but have never met in person,” said Don
Schneider WD0AMA, 60, the secretary of the Davenport Amateur Radio
Club. “It’s amazing that I can sit in my room at home and transmit a
signal out and bounce it off the atmosphere and talk to someone on the
other side of the world, that I can be here in Davenport (Iowa) and in
seconds talk to someone and meet someone new in Australia.”

Read the full story (note 6 question survey to get to story)
http://qctimes.com/news/local/hams-share-love-of-amateur-radio/article_a9413c1d-70df-5a08-a4c2-d81bde925865.html

Davenport Radio Amateur Club
http://www.arcsupport.com/drac/