ARLA/CLUSTER: O que é uma estação de escuta bem equipada para DX em Onda Media ?

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 19 de Novembro de 2013 - 17:00:09 WET

Não procurem mais, a resposta está aqui:
"As nossas antenas em Aihkiniemi ( no Norte da Finlândia ) consistem de 14
antenas Beverage, cada uma com 1 km (3.000 pés) de comprimento, o que torna a
nossa cabine, talvez, a melhor equipada de todas bases para DX AM em todo o
mundo."

Ao que tudo indica até os chineses ficaram com os "olhos em bico".

João Costa (CT1FBF)

*The 29th DXpedition to Aihkiniemi in Finnish Lapland*

Our aerials in Aihkiniemi consist of 14 Beverage antennas, each 1 kilometer
(3,000 ft.) long, which makes our cabin perhaps the best-equipped of all AM
DXing bases in the world. The 14th antenna, which was built soon after my
arrival, extends the Aihkiniemi antenna arsenal to a previously neglected
area. This latest addition is a 1,000-meter wire at 210 degrees, which is
intended to capture elusive local stations from Spain's Mediterranean
coastline, as well as from Nigeria, which is one of the few African nations
with an extensive selection of remaining AM stations. Here's an azimuthal
map for Aihkiniemi with our antenna directions:

[image: Map of Aihkiniemi antenna
directions]<http://www.dxing.info/images/map_finland_aihkiniemi_antennas_2013-2014_750x750.jpg>

All four of us use Perseus hardware. While three of us favor the software
made by the same manufacturer, I prefer to run my Perseus receiver with
Jaguar.
  [image: Receiver setup]
<http://www.dxing.info/photos/AIH29_receiver_setup_1024x683.jpg>My receiver
setup in Aihkiniemi surrounded by a mesh of antenna and grounding wires.
Click to view explanations.

The Aihkiniemi cabin<http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/aihkiniemi_dx_cabin_for_rent.dx>is
becoming increasingly well-equipped with all sorts of technical
accessories. It even includes four laptop computers, so the amount of tech
hardware that we have to haul there and back is diminishing every year. I
still brought one of my own laptops because I wanted to have Jaguar
installed on it. My large antenna switch box was one of the few items that
I wasn't able to take by plane. Otherwise, all of the necessary stuff
needed for a major listening and recording operation is already portable.

Three pieces of UPS protected us from a few short power outages (less than
a second) and, surprisingly, we didn't have any major technical problems
nor did we encounter any significant sources of external interference to
our equipment, so we were able to focus on the fabulous world of DXing!

*Sample some MP3 goodies for yourself*

A unique opportunity for exciting new catches on the AM band is, of course,
the rationale for undertaking a laborious expedition to a remote location
like Aihkiniemi. There will always be goodies, even during less than ideal
propagation conditions. Here are a few MP3 recordings showcasing what we
picked up:

 • RNE Radio 5,
Salamanca<http://www.dxing.info/audio/spain/1314_RNE5_Salamanca.mp3>,
on 1314 kHz, as an example of how well our new 210-degree wire captures
signals from Spain. RNE Salamanca, here beginning a local break, is where
the well-known Spanish DXer Mauricio Molano works, so verifications are
guaranteed!

 • Radio Ethiopia,
Mekele<http://www.dxing.info/audio/ethiopia/1044_Ethiopia_sign_off.mp3>,
on 1044 kHz, heard here signing off with a closing announcement and the
national anthem. Ethiopian AM stations are actually heard quite often
thanks to a one-of-a-kind 1000-meter wire directed towards the Horn of
Africa.

 • JOQC NHK2 Morioka<http://www.dxing.info/audio/japan/1386_JOQC_NHK2_Morioka_sign_off.mp3>,
on 1386 kHz, signing off, just to show how well some Japanese stations can
be heard. From Monday to Saturday, NHK2 stations close down at 1540 UTC,
which is one of the few moments when it is possible to identify them.

 • KTWG Agana, Guam <http://www.dxing.info/audio/guam/801_KTWG.mp3>, on 801
kHz, is an example from the most coveted continent, Australia & Oceania, in
the opposite end of the world from Finland. Again, pretty neat reception
quality.

 • KJNP North Pole,
AK<http://www.dxing.info/audio/alaska/1170_KJNP_sign_on.mp3>,
on 1170 kHz, a regular catch up here, but very exotic on more Southern
latitudes, heard here launching another broadcast day — just to give you a
taste of the Arctic!

[image: KJSK 900 AM logo] • KJSK Columbus,
NE<http://www.dxing.info/audio/usa/900_KJSK.mp3>,
on 900 kHz, amazing strength considering that the station has never been
heard before in Finland.

 • KAKK Walker, MN <http://www.dxing.info/audio/usa/1570_KAKK.mp3>, on 1570
kHz, a very rare station, and luckily just at closing time, transmitting at
250 watts of power. Indicative of the conditions, which favored Minnesota
for a few days.

 • WCSL Cherryville, NC <http://www.dxing.info/audio/usa/1590_WCSL.mp3>, on
1590 kHz, obviously transmitting with daytime power of 10 kW through the
night, again the first ID caught in Finland.

 • HJZI G12 Radio,
Bogotá<http://www.dxing.info/audio/colombia/1550_G12_Bogota.mp3>,
on 1550 kHz, one of the many Colombian stations that have fairly recently
changed its name.

Stay tuned as more clips will become available later.