ARLA/CLUSTER: Importantes Beacons em 50MHz ao sul da África

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 7 de Novembro de 2013 - 13:40:15 WET

SA hams - watch for Sporadic-E DX from Zimbabwe and further north

Many SPORADIC-E openings were recorded from Zimbabwe, Zambia and
further north from the old Band 1 TV stations during the months of
November to February around midday.

The sound channels were copied around 53,750 MHz FM at S9+ levels;
when these TV stations closed down we lost valuable VHF beacons.

Fortunately we now have three DX beacons with which to observe
possible openings north of our borders, and call on 50,200 MHz SSB.
They are: Z21SIX on 50,0016 MHz at Harare, V51YJ on 50,028 MHz at
Windhoek and Q9ID on 50,021 MHz at Kinshasa, DRC.

Another DX beacon to look for is VK0RTM at Mawson, Antarctica on
50,300 MHz via multi-hop Sporadic-E propagation.
Hal, ZS6WB, is currently in the process of erecting a number of
beacons on 50,450 MHz especially for the detection of Sporadic-E
openings.

The South African Radio League