ARLA/CLUSTER: NASA procura novas ideias para a exploração espacial

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 22 de Maio de 2013 - 13:43:18 WEST

NASA looking for far-out ideas

NASA is looking for far-out ideas. NASA's Innovative Advanced Concepts
(NIAC) Program is seeking Phase II proposals for continuation of
promising studies selected during the first phase of the visionary
program.

The NIAC program funds cutting-edge concepts with the potential to
transform future aerospace missions, enable new capabilities, or
significantly alter current approaches to launching, building, and
operating aerospace systems.

"Creating the technologies needed to keep our explorers -- robotic and
human -- alive and well is a terrific challenge, and these
transformative concepts have the potential to mature into the
solutions that enable our future missions," said Michael Gazarik,
NASA's associate administrator for space technology in Washington.

"NASA's early investment and partnership with creative scientists,
engineers and citizen inventors from across the nation holds the
potential to pay huge technological dividends and help maintain
America's leadership in the global technology economy."

NIAC's Phase II opportunity continues development of the most
promising Phase I concepts. These are visionary aerospace
architecture, mission, or system concepts with transformative
potential, which continue to push into new frontiers, while remaining
technically and programmatically credible. NIAC's current portfolio of
diverse efforts advances aerospace technology in many areas, including
science, aeronautics, robotics and manufacturing.

Recent NIAC Phase II studies have included a concept for "printable
spacecraft," which could be manufactured using additive manufacturing
technology that creates 3-D objects from computer designs. Spacecraft
electronic components could be "printed" layer upon layer on flexible
materials, advancing the functionality and availability of components
needed for space missions. Another study is examining the feasibility
of using high temperature superconducting magnets as a potential form
of radiation shielding in space.

"Phase II proposals are especially exciting because they can provide
the opportunity to bring real breakthroughs one step closer to
implementation," said Jay Falker, NIAC program executive at NASA
Headquarters.

NASA will be accepting NIAC Phase II proposals of no more than 20
pages in length until July 9. Selection announcements are expected
later this year. This solicitation is open only to current or
previously awarded NIAC Phase I concepts. Complete guidelines for
proposal submissions are available on the NIAC website at
http://www.nasa.gov/niac.

NASA expects to initiate approximately five new Phase II studies this
year. The number of awards will depend on the strength of proposals,
availability of appropriated funds and selected mix of Phase I and
Phase II awards. Selected proposers will receive as much as $500,000
over two years to further analyze and develop their innovative
concepts.

NIAC is part of NASA's Space Technology Mission Directorate, which is
innovating, developing, testing and flying hardware for use in NASA's
future missions. To view the NASA NIAC Research Announcement for this
solicitation and for more information about the agency's Space
Technology Mission Directorate, visit: http://go.usa.gov/R1N