ARLA/CLUSTER: Aceite 1º artigo cientifico baseado nas observações do 1º radiotelescopio do SKA

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 20 de Maio de 2013 - 12:59:01 WEST

[image: SKA dishes] Significant milestone for SKA*

The *South African Radio League* report that the first scientific paper
based on observations performed with South Africa's new *KAT-7* radio
telescope, has been accepted for publication by the prestigious journal
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomy Society.

"This is a significant milestone for South Africa's SKA project, proving
that our engineers are able to deliver a cutting-edge scientific
instrument, and that our scientists are able to use it for frontier
science," says Derek Hanekom, Minister of Science and Technology.

"It bodes well for the delivery of our 64-dish MeerKAT telescope, currently
under construction in the Karoo, and for our ability to play a key role in
building and commissioning thousands of SKA antennas over the next ten
years."

Using the new KAT-7 telescope in the Karoo and the existing 26 m radio
telescope at the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO),
South African and international astronomers have observed a neutron star
system known as Circinus X-1 as it fires energetic matter from its core in
extensive, compact jets that flare brightly. The details of the flares are
visible only in radio waves.
Read the full story and watch a brief video on www.amsatsa.org.za/

SKA -

O *Square Kilometre Array* (SKA) será o maior
telescópio<https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telesc%C3%B3pio>do mundo,
capaz de captar ondas
de rádio <https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondas_de_r%C3%A1dio> e que deve
ficar pronto em 2017 <https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017>.

Quando estiver terminado, o Square Kilometre Array vai estar espalhado pela
Austrália <https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austr%C3%A1lia>, Nova
Zelândia<https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Zel%C3%A2ndia>,
Ãfrica do Sul <https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81frica_do_Sul> e outros
países africanos como
Moçambique<https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%C3%A7ambique>e talvez
Angola <https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angola>. O consórcio internacional
responsável por este projecto prevê que se gaste na construção 1500 milhões
de euros até 2024. O SKA vai pôr milhares de antenas a perscrutar o
universo para responder a questões fulcrais de física. O projecto quer
ainda levar energia eléctrica e Internet a milhões de pessoas em Ãfrica.