ARLA/CLUSTER: Ao fim de 64 anos, loja de referencia japonesa encerra

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 3 de Dezembro de 2013 - 12:18:56 WET

The Radio Store closes down

The Radio Store, one of the landmarks that gave Akihabara its
'Electric Town' nickname, closed its doors for the last time on
Saturday evening after 64 years in business

Computer World report Tokyo's world-famous Akihabara district lost one
of its signature stores on Saturday, November 30, 2013, and with it a
piece of the area's rich electronics history faded away.

On hearing about the closure, Mr. Mae, a 76 year old retired engineer
and amateur radio operator traveled 500 kilometers from Fukui
Prefecture in western Japan to reminisce. When he was 16, he used what
savings he had to go to Tokyo he built his first radio receiver from
components he bought at the Radio Store. He has been an enthusiast
ever since.

"When I came to Tokyo for university I was here every day," he said.
"We could talk to the clerks and other radio fans about the latest
technology developments and we would all always be saving for next new
component. I moved on from receivers to amateur radio operation, so
naturally I built my own transmitter. It opened me up to the world."

He remembered how the Radio Store's success led to the building of the
nearby "Radio Center" and from there more buildings started to pop up
housing similar component vendors.

"It was always busy," he said. "It would take a few hours to move
around and wait in line to shop at the popular vendors. Often the best
components would get sold out very quickly."

Read the full Computer World story with 15 photos at
http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/533187/
store_closure_marks_end_an_era_tokyo_akihabara_15_photos_/