ARLA/CLUSTER: RSGB lança estudo sobre ruido em HF com apoio universitário

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 26 de Agosto de 2013 - 14:02:04 WEST

 Page last updated on: Sunday, August 25, 2013  Share on facebookShare
on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services0

Noise Floor Study

It was announced on 25th August 2013, that the RSGB’s legacy committee
has agreed a submission for funds to advance the above study.

You will remember a couple of months ago I updated you on my PSC HF
Noise Measuring Campaign and my articles in RadCom.

The new funds will allow an extension to the original Campaign, which
is to be titled 'Noise Floor Study', and will include university
involvement.

To read the RSGB announcement look at URL
http://rsgb.org/main/technical/propagation/noise-floor-study/, this
carries a link to my web site for further information on my Campaign.

To further the Campaign, part of this initiative requires more input
devices scattered around the U.K. The suggested Rx. is the Sentinel
SDR Rx. and an active aerial, both sold by Cross Country Wireless.
Ideally there should be at least one Rx. in a quiet/Rural location, so
that comparisons can be made with more noisy locations, and as a basis
for final analysis.

One of the reasons why more Rx’s are not in the field right now I
guess is, the price; both the Rx. and the aerial cost around £169.00
each plus P+P. The controlling software runs on Windows XP or Windows
2000, so older PCs/Laptops can be utilized. Perhaps groups such as
affiliated societies could consider purchasing the units, to install
and maintain them as a group project.

As part of the legacy funding, a web site will be established to at
least display the Sentinel reported noise levels on 5 different QRG’s,
each site will report their readings every 10 minutes. The display
will be in the form of a U.K. map with the Rx. sites marked at the
correct location with the readings. There may be other outputs, which
are in the discussion process.

All that is needed is more data gathering Rx’s in all sorts of noise
environments, to advance Radio Amateur’s in the general publics and
scientific communities, ethos. Participation will also provide those
participants with another fulfilment of the licence, and that is the
gaining of knowledge through the study of the radio environment.

Gwyn Williams G4FKH