ARLA/CLUSTER: NEWS UPDATES by PT0S

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 14 de Novembro de 2012 - 17:37:10 WET

NEWS UPDATES
Log Updates Delayed Due to Poor Internet Access (11-14-2012 from AA7JV)

Nov 14, 2012, SPSP

We continue working the pile-ups, which are very large at times. We
also continue adding more RX antennas. Our main challenges are limited
Internet access, a difficult physical environment and extremely
limited space.

The high speed Internet of the research station, which we had
permission to use, has been down for some time and we have been using
our back-up Iridium satellite phone, which has very limited bandwidth
(2.4 kbps -- yes, kilo). As the logs have grown we are unable to send
them in a timely manner, even in a compressed format. We hope to have
the Internet access fixed and catch up with the logs soon. Until then,
please bear with us and do not 'over-dupe' us.

Low Bands: Variable conditions last night on 160. Initially we had
very heavy static noise, which improved towards 2300 UTC but returned
around 0600 UTC. There is also substantial QSB. Please pay attention
to conditions and when we appear to slow down, send the call-sign
twice. We continuously monitor for JA-s (and other Asians) between
1822 and 1825 (down 1 to 3 from 1825.5) especially during potential
openings. There is a BC harmonic on 1824, which comes and goes. Please
avoid this frequency. Unfortunately, no JA contacts yet on 160, not
even faint signals. Today we will work on the main (160) TX antenna
hoping to improve it. (The antenna sits on top of a 20 rock
outcropping that juts into the water. At low tide it is 20 meters
above the water. At high tide the large waves wash over its base.
(During the past three days the waves have bunched up all the radials
and we feel that performance has deteriorated.) 80 meters is doing
well and we have worked a good number of JA stations. Conditions on 40
are excellent.

AA7JV