ARLA/CLUSTER: DX Code of Conduct Update

Segunda-Feira, 5 de Março de 2012 - 10:27:32 WET

De: Randy W6SJ [mailto:randy  loan-wolf.ccsend.com] Em nome de Randy W6SJ
Enviada: sábado, 3 de Março de 2012 11:25
Para: João Gonçalves Costa
Assunto: DX Code of Conduct Update

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here <http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=w6ajbxbab&v=001cHaZO6NvI5Vsba7UzfRdHG30sqCxGxDnZa3j__IfxetAxUOLQooDZ194fIBz9yRRsKW-jsJ_gVAlvKZkTmIBw8QMzUq3Ji0UUQ22aI3eXEA%3D>

[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs062/1101358465974/img/19.jpg]

DX Code of Conduct Update - March 2012

According to the flag counter, we have had 40,000 visitors to our site. You can see the background of visitors by clicking on the Flag Counter box at the bottom of the page

Pileup management continues to demonstrate that on-the-air performance is based largely upon the DXpedition operator being disciplined about how he manages the pileup. It is also obvious from our experience with two recent DXpeditions that when an operator exercises good management technique is essential. A disciplined operator forces the pileup to adhere to his requirements. When he does, the QSO rate is higher, more hams end up in the log, and everyone is happy about the time he spent.

There other was a notable exception. The manager maintained, "All of our operators are experienced." But on the air performance was poor with long intervals with no identification, not sending "UP" after every QSO, or at least every other QSO. It was a real mess for long periods and they were roundly criticized.

The beefed up "Code of DXpedition Operators" section of the site pays benefits to those DXpedition managers that require some advance education and training for their ops.

I announced the DX Code of Conduct Store in January. You can buy nice denim shorts, T-shirts, hats, cups, and badges with the DX Code logo on them. Our store website is DX Store<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109441359006&s=3856&e=001YKXKbYhBDL5FB6eQvW_UsCd8AEdksWN2wlN7W2TlZdt611c0134bBHzSr68q1R15Yu4iDffLCS6zGipnMW7GyfTr_LcH9GRtFqKI_ENDuiQ8O-Gnv8bv_-IiEVk_DuHZDX35__7Sdbc=> Unfortunately, after my announcement, only one single ham ordered items while 500 others on the distributions list ignored it. I have to ask this question: is anyone really interested in this? Answer in survey to follow.

We need to have more national societies promote us and include a link to our website from their society's website. A lot more work needs to be done and I hope that as you read this, you consider whether your own country's society is supporting ethical operating practices. For American operators, please consider contacting your section or division manager or HQ in Newington asking them to support the project.

I have an ethical question to ask: if a DXpedition operator or DX station sees a DXer operating flagranlty poor manner in a pileup, should he "make the QSO" so as to make the guy go away but not put him in the log or acknowledge the QSO with a QSL?  One prominent DX operator does just that. No more patience and this is his way of dealing wiith the jerks.  Please send your observations to me at w6sj  arrl.net<mailto:w6sj  arrl.net>

Finally, you will also get a survey. Please take a few minutes to respond.

73 and good DXing,

Randy W6SJ

[https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/ui/images1/ofr_ftaf-red.gif]<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101358465974&a=1109441359006&ea=joao.a.costa%40ctt.pt>

Forward this email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=w6ajbxbab&m=1101358465974&ea=joao.a.costa%40ctt.pt&a=1109441359006>