ARLA/CLUSTER: ARRL atribuiu Premio de Inovação ao protocolo aberto CODEC2

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 2 de Agosto de 2012 - 15:09:04 WEST

  VK5DGR to receive ARRL Technical Innovation Award

The ARRL Board has awarded the 2012 ARRL Technical Innovation Award to
David Rowe VK5DGR for his work on the amateur radio Codec2 low bit
rate speech codec.

The ARRL Board minutes for July 20-21 say:

32. On motion of Mr. Norris, seconded by Dr. Weaver, the following was
ADOPTED with applause:

Whereas David Rowe, VK5DGR, has been a major leader and the primary
technical author of an open-source CODEC2 protocol, designed to
address the impediment to the development of amateur digital-voice
posed by closed sources protocols; and Whereas the open-source nature
of this work is a major step forward in the development of digital
voice communications;

Therefore, the ARRL Board of Directors awards the 2012 ARRL Technical
Innovation Award to David Rowe, VK5DGR.

On hearing of his award David Rowe VK5DGR said:
When I first became interested in Ham Radio as a 12 year old in the
late 70's my grandfather bought me the 1979 ARRL handbook.  Quite an
honor to one day be contributing back to this fine hobby that was my
start in a communications and electronics career.

That version of the handbook even had a chapter on "Narrow Band Voice
Modulation" - an esoteric analog technique to compress speech by
removing chunks of audio bandwidth.  Who would have thought that 30
years later I 'd be contributing in the same area.......

Read the full ARRL board minutes for the July 20-21 meeting
http://www.arrl.org/files/media/News/2012_Second_Meeting_
ARRL_Board_Minutes_Final.pdf

Video of a Codec2 presentation given by David Rowe VK5DGR
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/january2012/
codec2_presentation_video.htm

Read the David Rowe VK5DGR blog at
http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=2255