ARLA/CLUSTER: Emissores e movel

Manuel Jesus mojesus pedradaciencia.com
Domingo, 12 de Setembro de 2010 - 15:31:03 WEST

Nos USA foi dada razão ao radioamadores, teremos que tambem em Portugal
caminhar no mesmo sentido, falar em movel no carro não é o mesmo que falar
ao telemovel.

Cabe ás associações, actuar junto da ANACOM, as restrições ao uso de
transceivers nos carros, tambem em Portugal devem ser permitidas aos
radioamadores. Um radio de amador não é o mesmo que um telemovel!

CT1AXZ

Manuel Jesus

www.sitesmaisuteis.pt

New York Judge Declares Amateur Radio Is Not a Cell Phone

TAGS:  <http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:amateur%20radio> amateur
radio,  <http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:amateur%20radio%20service>
amateur radio service,  <http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:arrl>
arrl,
<http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:ARRL%20Regulatory%20Information>
ARRL Regulatory Information,
<http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:cell%20phone> cell phone,
<http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:citizens%20band> citizens band,
<http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:mobile%20radio> mobile radio,
<http://www.arrl.org/news/search/Tag.name:mobile%20rig> mobile rig
09/10/2010

In many states and localities, it is illegal to talk on a cell phone
(without a hands-free device) while behind the wheel -- doing so can result
in a ticket and possibly a large fine. But on May 30, 2010, when a New York
ham was talking on his mobile rig, he didn’t think he was doing anything
wrong. Except that the officer who pulled him over and cited him with a $100
fine didn’t quite see it that way.

Steve Bozak, WB2IQU, of Clifton Park, told the ARRL that when he was pulled
over while driving to Troy -- about 16 miles away -- he assured the officer
that he was not speaking on a cell phone, but on his handheld transceiver.
But according to Bozak, the officer said “it was all the same to him.” So
Bozak decided to fight the ticket in court.

“Honestly, it’s not the fine or the ticket, but that all the other hams who
use mobile radios have to hide the fact we are mobile in Troy,” he told the
ARRL just days after he was cited. “I will do my best to settle this
politely and correctly, for all of the ham community. So I will follow the
course and have my day in court, to ‘tell it to the judge.’ This matter
affects 38,000 hams in New York State.”

Unfortunately, when Bozak had his day in traffic court, he lost his case.
But he didn’t give up and took his case to City Court where, on September 8,
the judge dismissed the case in Bozak’s favor. Bozak argued that his use “of
a handheld Amateur Radio does not fit the definition of a mobile telephone,
and as such, the present charge should be dismissed.” The prosecutor’s
office did not submit a response in opposition.

Saying that New York’s Vehicle and Traffic Law defines a “Mobile Telephone”
as a “device used by subscribers and other users of wireless telephone
service to access such service,” and that a “Wireless Telephone Service” is
defined as “two-way real time voice tele-communications service that is
interconnected to a public switched telephone network and is provided by a
commercial mobile radio service,” the judge decided that Bozak’s handheld
transceiver did not fit that description.

“A review of 47 C.F.R.§20.3 reveals that Citizens Band Radio Service is
defined under private mobile radio service not commercial mobile radio
service,” the decision read. “Therefore, the Court finds that the use of an
Amateur Radio device does not fit the definition of a mobile telephone as
defined under the Vehicle and Traffic Law” As such, the judge dismissed the
case in Bozak’s favor.

“While the court cited the Citizens Band Service instead of the Amateur
Radio Service, the ruling very is favorable to amateurs on the precise point
of law raised,” said ARRL Regulatory Information Manager Dan Henderson,
N1ND. “The principle of law is spot on. This is a great ruling in New York
and exactly what we had thought would happen.”