ARLA/CLUSTER: Aplicações para radioamadores nos telemóveis com sistema operativo Android

Terça-Feira, 2 de Novembro de 2010 - 19:01:56 WET

I recently obtained a new Samsung Android phone from work, so of course I had to see what Ham Radio related applications might be available. I found two very useful applications, and the best part is that they're FREE.

The first application I found is called "Callsign DB". As the name indicates, it's just a basic callsign lookup. Here is a print screen of the icon and also of the main lookup screen:

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1745-callsign-lookup-icon.png]

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1744-callsign-lookup-main-screen.png]

As you can see from the main screen, you can press the Address link, which will show you the location on Google Maps. The FCC.gov and QRZ.com links give you the callsign page from each of those sites, as well. This application requires internet connectivity to do look-ups, so it won't be the tool to use when you're operating in the sticks. However, if you're mobile and around civilization, it should work quite well for you.

The other interesting application that is available is called "HamSatDroid". It is a satellite pass predictor and locator application. Here is the icon:

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1747-hamsatdroid-icon.png]

Here is a shot of the main screen that you will use most often:

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1746-hamsatdroid-main-screen.png]

You simply select the satellite you want, the time frame, and hit "Calculate Pass". Before you do that however, you need to tell the application where you are located. You do that by hitting the Menu button on the Android, which shows this screen:

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1748-hamsatdroid-options.png]

I chose to set my home location based on the GPS, like this:

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1749-hamsatdroid-home-location-options.png]

The application also allows you to update the Keplerian elements with the "Update Keps" function:

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1750-hamsatdroid-update-keps.png]

And lastly, no satellite tracking application is complete without a world map showing you where the satellite currently is and where it is going:

[http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/moleculo-albums-android-software-picture1751-hamsatdroid-map.png]

HamSatDroid works without an internet connection, so you can even use it while the phone is in "airplane mode".

These are both nice little pieces of software, especially when you consider that you can take them with you and use them wherever you are. Hopefully we'll see more applications like these soon!