ARLA/CLUSTER: Vamos todos escutar EME em 16, 17 e 18 da Abril de 2010.

Quarta-Feira, 24 de Março de 2010 - 10:30:10 WET

  [http://www.ok2kkw.com/arecibo_observatory_aerial.jpg] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory>

Folks: Echoes of Apollo EME 2010, April 16,17,18 a World Moon Bounce Day, is approaching fast. Like last year, we would like it to be all EME inclusive, all bands, and modes, a fun event, with a common Science outreach /Young People thread. We are still open to event design inputs as to format, of QSO exchanges, etc.

This year, EOA has been graced with a special opportunity; We have the Arecibo Dish on board, for 432 SSB, and CW; Maybe 1296.

For Planning purposes, Arecibo can only steer +-20 degrees from Zenith. and is located at: 18.3N 66.75W.

We are working with the very kind, generous and capable Arecibo Faculty and Staff, and the Arecibo Observatory Amateur Radio Club, on setting up a 1296 station, which we have to source, design, fabricate and test, from scratch.

If anyone is interested in joining the Arecibo DX-pedition team, that has a 1296 transportable station, please contact me off line. (apolloeme  live.com<mailto:%28apolloeme  live.com> ) The EOA team will/can stay on site, at the $60/day (way below market rates) accomodations for the Visiting Scientist Staff.

The 1296 station will be located inside the Gregorian Feed Dome and the feed horn, will illuminate their dual mirror Gregorian feed, and then the 1000' spherical dish, 450 ft below. Yesterday we encountered a problem, one of space, to mount a planned OM6AA design Dual Mode Feed. We do not have much space behind the phase center, to mount the feed, and dont think the OM6AA feed will fit. We may only have 18" (still checking) behind the phase center point for the feed. We are still testing and checking, but I (an EME newbie) would welcome suggestions for feeds that are particularly short, that will more likely fit inside the Gregorian Dome on the rotating floor, at Arecibo. I am still gathering exact required F/D information.

 Principal objective of the test, is to see what is required in terms of a minimum station receiver antenna and preamps to hear either CW or SSB.

We would like any 432 EME stations to listen, perhaps even record, signals received, and send reception reports in, noting their receiver setups. Arecibo has more than 50 dbi gain perhaps much more, on 432 (still seeking an exact figure) so if it can be heard with modest equipment, I want to encourage Hams to connect with schools, set up a 432 receive system, (or bring the kids to your EME station) ,and demonstrate EME to the kids, during EOA.

We are also looking for a documentarian, to video the Arecibo visit.

sincerely, 73, Pat, AA6EG

"The most exciting phrase to hear in Science, the one that heralds  new discoveries, is not "Eureka, I have found it!" but:"That's funny..." ----Isaac Asimov