ARLA/CLUSTER: Fwd: Nice video on amateur satellite and supporting space science

Fabiano Moser fabianomoser gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 7 de Outubro de 2009 - 16:31:06 WEST

Olá pessoal,

Ótimo vídeo sobre a contribuição do serviço de radioamador para Pesquisa e
Ciência Espacial.

Vale a pena ver.

73 Fabiano

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ivan Galysh <ivan.galysh  nrl.navy.mil>
Date: 2009/10/7
Subject: Nice video on amateur satellite and supporting space science
To: Doug Papay <doug.papay  gmail.com>, skywarn  frognet.net,
alancresswell  xtra.co.nz, lu2ham  rccordoba.com.ar, kc8ran  cox.net,
kai.brandt  cih.uib.no, jkboxk  wildblue.net, pdy  dejazzd.com,
jbarkley  truvista.net, julian.g4ilo  gmail.com, morgan_st  bellsouth.net,
Armando Mercado <am25544  triton.net>, marx  midmaine.com, kb0puw  yahoo.com,
jpronans  gmail.com, lrahnz  garlic.com, lu5eev  yahoo.com.ar,
cjhurst  bigpond.net.au, John Heath <g7hia  btinternet.com>, Mike Rupprecht <
mail  mike-rupprecht.de>, Guy Mallery <wa2msu  pacbell.net>,
kwm  ssel.montana.edu, satou <ja0caw  rose.ocn.ne.jp>, Wayne Pennings <
headpossum  centurytel.net>, cqssbdx  hotmail.com, amedved  gmail.com,
sx7h-iwmt  asahi-net.or.jp, kb1pvh  gmail.com, h.valk4  chello.nl,
fabianomoser  gmail.com, pgw  saruman.demon.co.uk, swartr  twcny.rr.com,
w7xz  comcast.net, melkubag  centurytel.net, wb3csy  embarqmail.com,
kai.brandt  hjemme.no, Familie Hamoen-Lankheet <hamoen  iae.nl>

Hello all,

In case you didn't see the announcement about a video produced by Henk,
below is the link. It is a really nice video showing amateur radio
contribution to space science. I plan on using this video when I give
presentations to high school students. I also plan on showing it to my
bosses so I can get more science missions made available to the amateur
radio community.
These two satellites have been a learning experience. There are some things
I will want to do differently. I enjoyed getting reports from you and
working with you. I want to do it again and it looks like it may happen. We
have another science experiment in proposal and are starting to get some
funding. The mission will be to map the radiation environment in real time.
The trick will be to get the potentially large amount of data down. 9600
baud may not be fast enough. I will try to work something out to stay within
the common amateur radio gear. I may have to switch to KISS mode for more
compact data.

Also, if anyone has captured any audio, hold on to it. I know one of the
experiments was to try out FX.25. This is an experimental protocol that
wraps forward error correction data around the standard AX.25 packet. This
method allows standard TNCs and software to decode error free packets while
allowing FX.25 decoders to recover AX.25 packets with a few bit errors. We
tried getting the FX.25 software completed but time constraints have been
the issue. Last Friday, we were able to test the FX.25 decoder on some audio
files and were able to recover corrupted packets. Our small sample showed up
to 50% recovery rate. We will be processing more audio files. Our next step
is to make the code available. It runs on linux only. Our first problem was
trying to get access to the raw data stream before any AX.25 decoder. We
were able to find where to tap the raw bit stream in the soundmodem software
and pipe it to our FX.25 decoder program. We will write up some
documentation and release the software in the next couple weeks. You can try
running your audio files through the software and see if you see any
improvements.

So, next question. How many people are running linux for their ground
station? How many would be interested? We are thinking for the next
satellite to develop a telemetry protocol with forward error correction that
will greatly improve packet decoding. We will target FM modulation since
that is easier to track and capture. Since we only know how to program in
linux, we would target that platform. Anyone wanting to port to Windows or
Mac is welcomed to our code.

Ivan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGvRnqII0j8&feature=channel_page
(enable HD for best quality)

73, Henk

--
73
Fabiano Moser CR7/PY5RX

"There is no great talent without great will. (Honoré de Balzac)"