ARLA/CLUSTER: Novos Yaesu FT-1900 e FT-7900.

Gonçalo Springer goncalo.springer gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 9 de Julho de 2009 - 22:18:32 WEST

Caros colegas,

Parece que nos States estão a ponderar em fazer lançamento massivo de
equipamentos multibanda para o mercado...neste caso para os serviços de
emergencia.
Retirado de :
http://blog.firechief.com/mutual_aid/2009/07/08/will-multiband-radio-replace-ps-network-build-out/

Desculpem mas não faço a tradução:

 Will Multiband Radio Replace PS Network
Build-Out?<http://blog.firechief.com/mutual_aid/2009/07/08/will-multiband-radio-replace-ps-network-build-out/>
Mary
Rose Roberts <http://blog.firechief.com/mutual_aid/?author=111>July 8th,
2009

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology
Directorate <http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/structure/editorial_0530.shtm> just
announced the 14 lead organizations that will participate in the testing and
evaluation phase of the multiband radio
project<http://firechief.com/technology/communications/final-multiband-radio-test-20090707/>.
It’s the final step before manufacturers start inundating the marketplace
with their own version of the radio. The eventual widespread availability of
the radios makes me wonder: If multiband radios hit the market next year and
public-safety agencies nationwide adopt them, why do we need to build out a
broadband, public-safety network?

I’ve seen an early version of the multiband radio from Thales
Communications, which was demonstrated nearly at the 2008 International
Wireless Communications Expo <http://iwceexpo.com/>. The Thales radio has
been used throughout the pilot because the company landed a hefty $6.275
million DHS contract to develop it. The radio operates in the 136–174 MHz,
360–400 MHz, 402–420 MHz, 450–512 MHz, 700 MHz and 800 MHz frequencies —
letting command-and-control personnel communicate across bands during a
large-scale, cross-jurisdictional incident. The radio also is capable of
tapping into to other channels, such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration’s weather channel. As a result, it has the capability to be
the crucial technology to solve the nation’s communication interoperability
issues.

The radios seem to solve the issue of interoperability.  They work across
frequencies and agencies. It’s a technology that can be used now for
cross-agency communications without public-safety folks waiting and waiting
for D.C. insiders and the FCC to work out the details of a nationwide,
broadband public-safety network. But Dr. David Boyd — director of command,
control and interoperability for the directorate — disagreed with me, saying
he doesn’t believe multiband radios will make the buildout of the network
obsolete. Instead, it helps with the migration from one type of network to
another.

"This becomes the bridge device [to interoperability]. So if you are going
to build out a public safety network you would expect commanders and so on
to want a multiband radio for the build-out so they can communicate with the
new network as they build it out," Boyd said. "And, interesting enough, it
would let users work between the new and the old network as it is
happening."

Boyd said the final pilot will test how the radio can be used in day-to-day
operations. After the pilot program, the DHS expects the data to be used in
two ways: Industry will use it to determine areas of improvement on their
version of the multiband radio and users will be able to look at the key
lessons learned from the pilot program. Results will be documented at the
conclusion of the test, and all findings and lessons learned will be
published in a report that is expected to be posted on the SAFECOM program
Web site <http://www.safecomprogram.gov/> in early 2010, Boyd said.

But I still wonder: Once public-safety agencies get their hands on a
multiband radio, will they still clamor for a public-safety network or will
they let it go as yet another bureaucratic debacle that’s years from
fruition? Only time will tell.

Cumprimentos e 73'
CT2GQI