ARLA/CLUSTER: D-STAR repeater interference problems caused by uncoordinated operating segments.

Segunda-Feira, 24 de Agosto de 2009 - 11:21:12 WEST

D-STAR repeater interference

Edition 52 of the International Amateur Radio Union Region 1 VHF/UHF/uW newsletter highlights the interference problems caused by uncoordinated D-Star repeaters operating in the Amateur Satellite segments.

The front page of the newsletter, edited by Michael Kastelic OE1MCU, says The Cavtat conference has already recognised the frequency requirement for digital voice, and the bandplans have been adjusted accordingly.

We see, however, further development in this direction, with rising number of users. In some countries, this leads to uncoordinated growth, with D-Star repeaters operating even in the 2m satellite segment.
See http://www.dstarusers.org/repeaters.php

The situation is deplorable. We complain about interference in the satellite segment caused by pirates and telephony systems, while blocking the satellite segment ourselves, not to mention interference due to irregular repeater shifts.

Whenever a new D-Star repeater is to be set up, it must operate on a coordinated frequency pair, even if this means that an existing analogue repeater has to be switched off for this purpose. I urgently request all VHF managers to monitor the developments in their countries and to use their influence to redress the situation as required.

IARU Region 1 VHF/UHF/Microwave newsletters
http://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php?option=com_remository
&Itemid=173&func=select&id=6

Other IARU Region 1 newsletters
http://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php?option=com_remository