ARLA/CLUSTER: Um Radioamador salvos por outros Radioamadores.

Quinta-Feira, 26 de Junho de 2008 - 15:50:14 WEST

[http://www.brettb.com/CanonEOS300D_Photos/Canoeist.JPG]
Amateur radio handheld saves canoeist

Scottish radio ham Daniel Small, MM3NMI, tells Southgate News how amateur radio proved to be a real 'life-saver'.

Daniel recounts his ordeal:

[http://www.southgatearc.org/images/navigation/quote_start.gif]My friend and I were out canoeing on the west coast of Scotland, just off a town called Ardrossan.

Everything was going well for the first 30 minutes or so, but then I relised that I had taken on a considerable amount of water and my first thoughts were to head for the beach.

But, after changing my course to head for the beach, I was getiing hit with waves side-on to my canoe and they were starting to tip me slightly and causing the canoe to fill with water from the sides. This happened a few times until the canoe was completely filled with water.

I got out the canoe and swam to a small island about 30 metres away, the small island was about 3/4 of a mile. When I reached the island I found the canoe on the rocks and got my ruck sack out of the back of it.

I got my mobile phone out, but that was water damaged, so I had to resort to the use of my VHF 2M radio, a Puxing PX-777, which I had only purchased the previous week, and made a call on the local channel, 145.525.

I called my friend Peter, MM3YFT who was already at the local harbour and asked that he look for someone with a boat to come and provide assistance, but no-one could be found.

[http://www.southgatearc.org/images/people/mm0cin.jpg]
Rick MM0CIN

So I got in touch with Rick, MM0CIN who made a 999 call to Clyde Coastguard. They in turn contacted Troon Lifeboat and Ardrossan Coastguard team.

I was stranded on the rocks for about 30 minutes before the lifeboat managed to reach my location.

During that time, I kept close contact on 145.525 with all the local guys from my area - including Arthur MM0DHQ, who was about 2 miles away at Saltcoats Harbour - who were talking me through things to do. [http://www.southgatearc.org/images/navigation/quote_end.gif]

Daniel, MM3NMI

Thankfully, a happy ending to a story that once again demonstrates the usefulness of amateur radio in emergencies.

Fontes:  Practical Wireless<http://www.pwpublishing.ltd.uk/> e Southgate News.